Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] V1CT0RIAN

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aionard polycounter lvl 2
Well, this is now finally done :) Lots of learnings along the way, as you can see in the progress shots in the thread ;) one thing is sure, it will be a while before I tackle a night scene again ;) 

Some breakdowns and animations also additional angles ;) 

Original Post: 

This will be a progress  thread/post to keep myself accountable and productive! 

I have decided to finally do a baked scene, and for the first time in a while (ever?) an interior.  I want to scale back to a smaller, more manageable and intimate setting, so I'm going for the "must have" of portfolio pieces - A corridor.

My twist here will be inspired by Resident Evil 7. Warm woody Victorian interior with high ceiling, ornate wallpapers and wall panels, lit in a typical gothic washed out pale blue/candle orange fashion (possibly a relight to day scene later). The twist here will be the hi tech cabling running down it to contrast the new with the old, the wood with the steel, a hi tech lab in an old manor, you get the point.

In any case, that's my early blockout in Blender to get a feel for the space and how I want it populated

Current blockout in UE4 with some more detailed shapes to start getting a feel for visual noise, modules I'll need, how to organise my trim sheets etc.

Any and all feedback is always welcome! 

Replies

• Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's progress on the mid poly block out, some sizing adjustments, proportion seeking and light angle refinement. I think aligning the key features such as book cabinet, door, and the small chest at the end with windows will give some natural focus to interesting bits in the scene. Starting to get a little worried about the noise on wood panels, But it should be balanced out with the wallpaper texture for a more uniform noise level
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much progress, but I've added some doors, picture frames and curtains, to get a better idea of how these will be highlighted by the lightshafts. Slowly starting to get a finalised idea for amount of modules and assets I'll need. a
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trimsheet Ver 1.0, very much testing what I can get away with, and what will require geo, some nice results on the flatter or carved "in" bits. some jank on wooden skirting that was supposed to stick out, no replacing that silhouette I suppose. Now I know what works, v 2.0 should be quicker. Very much placeholder texture.
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anoter day, another Trim! V 2.0 looking much better. Wider gutters, simpler shapes with less drastic geometry bakes, overall much cleaner and more versatile result. I think I'll be moving into modelling with this trim, wood texture still placeholder.

• Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New trim sheet seems to be working, most of the smaller modules are done, textures are placeholders, but key shapes and normal details are starting to look nice.

• Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back!  I took a longer break as I was settling in a new job, the scene is still going at a steady pace :) Some new semi finished assets (I'll need a damage pass later), Developed some decent stained glass, reworked my modular assets to add construction lines, and a few other tweaks, I am starting to slowly see what the scene shapes up to, lighting still proving difficult, but that's a learning curve :)

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    looking good, man, but maybe stay away from the clouds noise because its not very natural looking. maybe blend it with other noises and/ or grunges.
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah textures on trim are still placeholder (I assume that's what you mean), but they are starting to stand our more and more as I finalise more
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some small progress on a couple of props to fill in the walls, some paintings (originals by Zdzisław Beksiński, a Polish painter I love). I am particularly happy with the oil paint cracks and roughness, gilded wood frames are not perfect, but I am happy with them as they are, since they are not hero props :) 

• Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess the website does not want any more of my screenshots today... I'll try uploading tomorrow...
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress, mostly on texture work, as the scene gets closer to completion, light bakes take longer and longer, so I'm opting for some point lights to debug texture values and take some progress screenshots. I still have a few major assets to make, but mostly some clutter like books for the shelves, small pictures and clutter on the side table, and the missing handles on drawers. Then it's a texturing pass on my modular wood pieces to give the trim a good texture and the meshes a 2nd UV for some unique detail, decals,  and lighting, I feel like I am starting to see a finish line on this :) 

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looking awesome so far! I think the lighting looks a tad too dark though? Instead of placing point lights around windows, I'd try to bump up the skylight contribution, and let the indirect lighting flood the hallway with soft gradients. Would make things more readable! Kickass work so far!
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well the problem is, the indirect light has to have a very high value to propagate the GI to the corridor, which leaves very bright spots near the windows, so I'm gonna have to experiment with some fill lights, skylight looks pretty fakt in this scene, but that's a worry for when I'm actually doing the light ;) 

• Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another light iteration (getting slowly closer to what I want it to be, but still very raw and without fill lights), and some more finalised assets, books and cables are now officially done. I think it's time to re-do the wood texture before I move to final clutter assets as it's visibly falling behind, but I'm regaining excitement fot the piece :) 

• Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a necro post at this point, but between work and life stuff I didn't get much time to do personal work, I'm now back at it, and closer than ever, worked a bit on proper light and post, moved away from baking (sice I'm not aiming to be a light artist) and decided to use some ray traced reflections, AO and shadows :) 
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So these are close to final shots, I've started laying out animations and such, pending some final bits of feedback, I think it's come a long way from where it started. Any final advice before I pull the trigger on Artstation? :)
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final results edited into the 1st post ;) 
  • MiguelMNavas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your passion for the details! Good job!  :)
  • Aionard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers! I really want to do a re-light in Lumen/UE5 to  a day scene to show more of the texture work I did, night has great atmosphere, but loses a lot of good stuff ;)