Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Female sculpt

shredde
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
shredde polycounter lvl 6
Today I started my second character project in Zbrush. It's loosley based on a model, but no real aim for total likeness,  we'll see how it turns out :) 

Replies

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the face :) also started on the body!

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    It's a good start~

I think you need to pay attention to the head proportions more. From the front it looks ok, but the side view seems like the face is pushed too far forward maybe?
    Even though different ethnicities have different skull shapes, if the proportions are wrong it can look odd.

I'm not sure the ethnicity your sculpt is aiming for.
    From the front it looks more Caucasian, but the side has more Asian features.

I think in both cases, the distance from the eyes/front face plane to the ear in your sculpt is too far.

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for feedback! :-) the sideview in my first post might not have been ortographic, so the ear distance is fine I think. The eyes are pushed a bit more forward because the girl Im basing it on is mix race (asian/caucasian) :-)

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to make some hands, still a bit to go on these.

• dyo_ooo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyo_ooo polycounter lvl 9
    She's look great, I am impatient to see more. 

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyo_ooo said:
    She's look great, I am impatient to see more. 

Thank you!! :)

Did some corrections to the upper body / shoulder area, I think it's a bit better now, also did some tweaks on the face.

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some brows and refined the face a bit. larger lips and stuff. Also tried some quick placeholder hair :) 

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you got details down well, but I think what's an issue is the proportions.
    Right now her body looks super stretched thin, kinda alien like.

It looks like she is over 10 heads tall.
    This can work if the character is heavily stylized, but your character features don't read as stylized. It looks like your aiming for realism but the proportions don't match that.

I know how hard it is learning human anatomy sculpting, it can be so frustrating when you know how you want it to look but it doesn't translate into your sculpt.

I still think the face has some issues also.
    Here are some areas I think could help improve it... particularly the nose septum needs more shape.

As for the body, I really would recommend rechecking your sculpt against some references. Also, is there a concept you're working from, or you are sculpting on the fly?

Your sculpting skills are good, and you've got a good handle on details. Keep going :)
  • shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom said:
    (feedback)
    Thank you for your feedback. I see what you mean with the septum, it's a bit too flat on the underside. I am flustered about the body proportions though? In what way are they wrong you mean? The body is 8 heads tall, and I am aware she is a bit on the skinnier side, and Im going for the more narrow hips kind of look, but is it really looking like an alien?  :/

Here are a couple of shots from different angles.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Maybe we can improve a bit on how she stand

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we can improve a bit on how she stand

Thanks alot carvuliero! That's really useful feedback! I'll defs make her stand more straight, and a bit more hyper mobile :)
  • shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some adjustments to the face, I think it's going in the right direction...

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your character is a bit over 8 heads tall.
    Here's an example of a more 'standard' human proportions.
    Yours is almost a head taller but is super thin, making the for the stretched 'alien' look.

Also, Notice the length of the torso in comparison to the length of the legs. Your character has super long legs.

It's more difficult also to judge proportions with the feet positioned like she is wearing heels.

As I mentioned earlier, proportions can be exaggerated for stylized characters, but your character reads as a more realistic approach in terms of detailing.

The photoshopped one on the right I made is still tall and leaning towards a stylized body proportions.

Are you working from any references? It may be helpful to see some references you are using to understand what you're aiming for.
  • shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom said:
    (quote)
    Hmm, Im aware that the legs might be a bit on the longer side. I do I think I am going for appeal over a hyper realistic look.  Im not really aiming to make it look like a scan. That being said, Im not aiming for an alien look either :D  But my references are photos, scans and anatomical drawings.

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break from the anatomy stuff and modeled shoes and briefs.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you aiming for something like this?

I don't have the artists name attached to the file, so I can't credit or link them unfortunately. It's a good example of a stylized character proportions and matches your pose pretty closely.

Anyways, If you are happy with your proportions, that's your style choice~

I would only add that be careful that you don't get into a habit of sculpting high details and clothes onto a body that has issues and rely on the clothes to hide any flaws in the anatomy.
    Having a good anatomy base down will make adding clothing much easier as you can sculpt around the body forms to make them fit and look more natural.

Good luck with your sculpting :)
  • shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom said:
    Are you aiming for something like this?

I don't have the artists name attached to the file, so I can't credit or link them unfortunately. It's a good example of a stylized character proportions and matches your pose pretty closely.

Anyways, If you are happy with your proportions, that's your style choice~

I would only add that be careful that you don't get into a habit of sculpting high details and clothes onto a body that has issues and rely on the clothes to hide any flaws in the anatomy.
    Having a good anatomy base down will make adding clothing much easier as you can sculpt around the body forms to make them fit and look more natural.

Good luck with your sculpting :)
    I know you want to help me, and I appreciate it, but I really don't see it. The character with the furry ears is pretty heavily stylized. I don't think my proportions are that exaggerated? I found an image from 3d scan store and drew some lines over it and compared to my character in ortographic view, isn't this fairly correct proportions? I know it's not a 100% match, but Im not sure I think it's cartoonish proportions.

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to match your character screens perspectives for comparisons as best I could, also I the sculpt on the far left is the same one as the muscle groups one I believe to, see the shapes more.

I really think the biggest problem is the stylized vs. real. Your character has the detailing of a realism approach, but the anatomy does not match it.

Other things that stand out to me, her face and cheeks look soft, very round and full. This does not match with the emaciated look of her body. It can work I think if the character is a young child?
     but I'm guessing your sculpt is an adult?

Her knees need fixing.

I hope you get the sculpt how you want it. I know the struggles of human anatomy sculpting as I'm also working on it, so hoped to I could help in any way I could from what I learned from others here who helped me too.

If you really don't see it, and you're happy with it, then i'll leave it at that :)

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimented with fibermesh.

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a bit of a break from this project because of work, but now Im back! Started to work on some clothes. Im going to add stitches and seams as well, and a bit more wrinkles I think.

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey Shredde, looks like there's some misunderstanding w/ the anatomy you're aiming to hit. Although the horizontal proportions do match the ecorche in the posts above. The three primary masses: Ribcage, Pelvis, and Head proportions are a bit off, which make it look doll like and cartoony. I believe that's what @vavavoom is trying to touch on. 

Providing a reference board/inspiration may help with further crits.

Cool work nonetheless! The ripped jeans look sweet, I look forward to seeing rest of the cloth work
  • shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost said:
    Hey Shredde, looks like there's some misunderstanding w/ the anatomy you're aiming to hit. Although the horizontal proportions do match the ecorche in the posts above. The three primary masses: Ribcage, Pelvis, and Head proportions are a bit off, which make it look doll like and cartoony. I believe that's what @vavavoom is trying to touch on. 

Providing a reference board/inspiration may help with further crits.

Cool work nonetheless! The ripped jeans look sweet, I look forward to seeing rest of the cloth work
    Thank you for your feedback!

I think there is some confusion with what I am going for, and it's my fault for not posting my references.
    I have been looking mainly at contemporary swimsuit models (i.e the Herbert twins) and skinnier women with narrow hips and a small frame.

I am aware though, that this is a skinny body type and not everyone will like it, but I was never going for the Marilyn Monroe look.
    I was fairly confident that the proportions were not that off, but now I'm contemplating going back to hard surface, haha, because I seem to have gotten most of it wrong.  =)
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

[feedback]
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this! I will def go back and adjust that! Legs are hard :) 

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted the legs/pelvic area to the best of my ability and worked on the rest of the clothes. :)

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gave the eyes some more love, to look less uncanny.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok lets totally overkill this one
    Now you should have base to tell me which form you are missing

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero Thanks a lot for this! I do think I understand better what I missed. After looking at your image above I did some changes, and I do think it is an improvement? :) 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not big fan of her nose but it is what it is
    You should definitely soften the neck as is compete with the rest also muscle wrap around the neck so their direction should be modify to suggest that
    Lip could use a bit more depth splitting the lower lip to it 2 main form and adjusting planes will give you that

• shredde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had time to work on this for a couple of months, but here's where Im currently at after going back and correcting things to the best of my ability :)