Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Best wey to achieve this close up

Hello evreyone, Brian here. I have a couple of questions about this model that I am trying to do!
I recorded a video about it -I think is better to understand-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcDTB_LKz4&feature=youtu.be

So thanks a lot!!
Brian.

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    There is no best way. You are trying to find an easier way instead of manually cleaning up all that geometry and i hear you, nobody likes to do a lot of boring repetitive tasks. But there are a lot of options depending on your end goal. If you want to do a close up render you might want to go ahead and combine all that and clean up the geo. Sometimes you cant avoid that. What i would do is try a couple of things.
    First, you can use it as is (separate geo) and maybe use one of those rounded edges shader that are quite common these days (vray, corona, arnold, etc all have a material that can do that) in order to remove any sharp transition from one piece to another.
    Second thing i would try is to bake the height info onto a plane and use it as a displacement map. You might get away with it if you use some clever triplanar material.
    Another option would be to use zbrush (if you happen to have one lying around) boolean the meshes together and use something like polish to get those nice rounded edges.
  • briancallipari
    teodar23 said:
    There is no best way. You are trying to find an easier way instead of manually cleaning up all that geometry and i hear you, nobody likes to do a lot of boring repetitive tasks. But there are a lot of options depending on your end goal. If you want to do a close up render you might want to go ahead and combine all that and clean up the geo. Sometimes you cant avoid that. What i would do is try a couple of things.
    First, you can use it as is (separate geo) and maybe use one of those rounded edges shader that are quite common these days (vray, corona, arnold, etc all have a material that can do that) in order to remove any sharp transition from one piece to another.
    Second thing i would try is to bake the height info onto a plane and use it as a displacement map. You might get away with it if you use some clever triplanar material.
    Another option would be to use zbrush (if you happen to have one lying around) boolean the meshes together and use something like polish to get those nice rounded edges.
    Thanks a lot. Today I was doing some test in differents ways. Now I am learning zbrush. Thanks for your time!