Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Captain Flint

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Moofy polycounter lvl 3
This is a personal project I have been working on, turning Toby Stephen's portrayal of Captain Flint from the TV show Black Sails into a game ready character. Initially this project started out as a likeness sculpt exercise but after researching into hair creation techniques I decided to take it all the way and fully flesh out the character bust. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lxN3nG

During the process I followed a 6 week online course for facial anatomy, thoroughly enhancing my understanding of how the face is structured, I used XYZ's skin alpha brushes to create the bulk of the finer custom detail on the face during the zBrush sculpting process and I also used Jasper Vick's fresh blood smart material during the texturing process to create the blood splatters.

Admittedly, the process used to create the hair is more suited to longer, lusher hair. As the hair cost would have been cut if a haircap and other similar techniques were used and is something I will factor in for future work. However I worked clump by clump to learn the workflow and to develop my skills in Maya, a program I had previously never used. So overall, this project has been a huge learning experience. There's a lot I'm pleased with and a lot I'm still unhappy with. However, as I have learned what I wanted to learn from this project I feel the extended polish time would be better spent targeting my learning and development in other places.

The sculpt was made in zBrush, Retopo in 3D Coat, unwrapping in 3DS Max, baking and texturing in Substance Painter, the hair texture was generated in Maya using xGen and baked in xNormal, textures and paint-overs where edited in Photoshop and the lighting and rendering was done in Marmoset Toolbag.