Home Technical Talk

Giving a mesh file thickness- with complex outer geometry. NSFW, looking for new approaches!

In trying to accomplish this, I've played quite a bit with Blender, Meshlab, Meshmixer, and Netfabb.

I've had great luck exporting OBJ models out of VAM (Virt-A-Mate, nude models), importing them to Daz Studio, and then running the "Convert to SubD" command twice (requires running the command once, saving, opening the new model and running again). This is great for avoiding a polygonal-looking model, and the detail holds for the most intricate parts of the mesh. Before and after example here: https://i.imgur.com/3D5SG77.png

What I want to do now is make this a shell, to make the whole thing ~2-3 mm thick. My first thought is that I want an offset shell, and the first thing I found in this direction is the Uniform Mesh Resampling command in MeshLab. Initial tries show that this... might work?

But I'm wondering if I want an offset mesh at all, because really, then I would just have two meshes, when in reality, I want the model to have thickness. I want to be able to manipulate the final model, like put holes through the model itself. So what I really want is an offset surface ~2mm below the outer surface; but the inside surface doesn't have much fidelity at all; and the surfaces together are "watertight."

Any ideas appreciated, if you comment with something to try, I'll try to post the output as soon as I can!

Replies