Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] D&D Goblin Boy - Open for Critiques

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pixel_Fire polycounter lvl 4
Hello, Folks!

I appreciate you taking the time and taking a peek at what I'm working on! I should preface before continuing with this post, this is my first project I've delved into in over 3 years. Last thing I made was some doodle in ZBrush back it 2017 (can be seen under my sketchbook topic). Kinda fell off art due to life stuff and my mental health. BUT I am back and ready to get the ball rolling!

I've been working on this stinky goblin boy for about about 3 months. The progress is very slow due to my nighttime job and me doing deep dives into learning a specific thing. I probably should have made a thread of this much earlier, but I felt like I was on a roll and wasn't stumped on anything. 

This first post will be of the early stage of where I am at currently and my thought process at each step. All posts after will be of my current progress and where I'd like to discuss what I can do to improve.

This is what the first day of sculpting lead me to. Had very little idea of where I was going with this or what I was doing in general. It was more of a test run to see how rusty I was and to just play around in the program.

Here is him much more refined and more confident in my abilities. At this point (and currently) I have no reference for him. It's more of a choose different parts from different goblins that I like and see how those parts fit with each other. This was me trying to decide how I wanted his teeth. The first image had too few, the second too many, and I settled with the third and shifted them around to create asymmetry.

Playing around with what an open mouth would look like with more teeth. Ditched the idea at the current time, but later I'll create a mouth with more teeth.

This is him in his early refined state with placeholder jewelry. 

This project originally started out to be a portrait only project because I needed an icon for my D&D game. So I played around with polypaint and some light asymmetry. 

The final result for the player icon. 

In the next post I'll upload images of my process of making his full body!

Replies

• Pixel_Fire
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Folks!

Here's the continued post!

I originally was sculpting him with adult proportions, but it felt very off. So I adjusted him to both the proportions of a child and a toddler. I liked the child proportions over that of the toddler. 

I put him next to a normal sized man to better get an idea what his scale would look like and I was digging it, so I continued the sculpt.

This is his current state without clothes. I have no in between shots from the last image to this one that are worth sharing.

Just some close up shots to see some detail.

In the next post, I'll be sharing the current state of the project (not much difference) and asking for feedback on some particular things and of the character as a whole.
  • Pixel_Fire
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya again!

Now time for some clothes! I knew right away I wanted him wearing harem pants with sandals, but I have no idea what shirt to give him. Kinda always envisioned him with no shirt, but for D&D and design purposes, I'd like to give him a shirt.

The current state of the pants are nowhere near final. They are only imported from MD and have not been touched. I wanted to block out more of his clothes before refining his current clothes.

Some design concepts I had started but never finished. I quite like the shoulder pieces and they'd fit well with a baggier shirt (the next image will elaborate more)

I have come down to 2 shirt ideas for him. Shirt A is a more tighter padded shirt/sleeveless vest. Armor would fit over this better like that of the examples in the bottom corner. I wanted armor that covers only his upper body so that he has a larger range of motion (he's a rogue after all). For shirt B I was thinking a baggier design would compliment the baggier pants and the armor I sketched up would probably go well with this shirt design.

But as a design, I have no idea which would look better. He's a stinky boy from the streets (I know, very original), so maybe the baggier option would fit him better. But when adventuring/fighting, maybe more protection on his torso would be better because that's where people would more likely hit him due to his height.

What do you think?

I appreciate all feedback! Feel free to critique his shirt choice or even the character as a whole (proportions, anatomy, silhouette, etc.) 

Thank you for your time! :)