Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MCU Thor/Chris Hemsworth Character

DomTheBomb
triangle
Offline / Send Message
DomTheBomb triangle
Hello! I had been trying to figure out for awhile when a good point to share a WIP of this project would be and then I went and kind of finished it (?)

This is my first likeness study and I decided to have a go at Thor from the MCU, particularly when he got his head shaved. Definitely learned a lot from this as usual, but let me know any thoughts or advice. I'm planning to make this a real-time model (sooner than later) so any kind of CC would be super appreciated. 

I've got more renders on my artstation if you want to check it out the link is here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L38qEw

I've also got some of the references that I had been using for this, I feel like maybe I kind of skimped out on that part. I definitely got confused between the various photos of him throughout the web so I guess for next time I would isolate my references to the movie in particular. 

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    It looks pretty good, but it doesn't quite look like Chris Hemsworth. I'm not a character artist so I'm not really sure, but I think his jaw is a slightly different shape, and the way he furrows his brow is a little different. And I think your version looks a bit older maybe? It might be my imagination though. I'm sure an actual character artist will jump in at some point to talk about anatomy.

One thing I am sure about is the hair doesn't match the reference. In your version his hair is very soft, straight, and pretty even in color and texture throughout. It's kind of a greyish brown, and looks a bit like fur. Like a husky or something.
    IRL Chris' hair has a lot more variety. The hair on top of his head has that multi tone dirty-blonde coloring, where the hairs are a darker, more saturated brown closer to the scalp, and blonde as the grow longer (could just be highlight dyeing though). The density is a bit thinner, a bit more messy with lots of fly-aways, and what looks like hair gel clumping the hair together into spikes, darkening the color more and making the hair a bit more glossy.
    His beard is a very different type of hair. (It's actually very similar to my own beard) The individual hairs are thicker, more curly/scraggly, and a bit red/orange/ginger in color. There is also more of a gradient of hair density across his cheek.

Hope that helps a bit. 
  • DomTheBomb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DomTheBomb triangle
    Thanks man! I do agree with you there's something just a bit off with it but I think I'd been staring at it too long to figure out what exactly. I'll take another look at the brow and jaw and see what I can figure out. I guess I hadn't noticed how nice his skin irl actually is too, I think that might affect how old he's coming off as well.

Appreciate the breakdown of the hair that's super helpful I can definitely see what you mean.