Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Fantasy greek sword [feedback appreciated]

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Semperfoo polycounter lvl 2
Hello again! I'm making this sword for a really small prototype of a friend. He sair I could be creative, and just asked to make pieces that resemble ancient Greece.
This sword is a Kopis, like that side weapon of the spartans from the movie "300", but I also tried to add a fantasy touch with a bluish damascus stell texture. This is the first design I'm really creating from concept, so I'm posting it too.

The proportions of the concept were wrong, it's looking more of a knife, so I had to tweak it a bit.

This is the high poly version:

And bellow i'ts the low poly version:

I'm new to 3D game art, so I have no idea if it's 'ok' for a game asset. If someone wants to share some thoughts I would be greatful :)

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    well it´s hard to tell from just looking at this one view and not knowing what kind of game/style it´s for, but here goes :) .   The blade has scratches and damage but the handle seems like it´s brand new and shiny so there is inconsistency in the textures. I´d recommend posting more pics from different views and info on what this game is supposed to look like. It also feels like you just dropped a couple of materials on the mesh and called the texturing done, I think you should give it more love.
    Good luck
  • Semperfoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the response, Johannes! The game doesn't really have a "style", my friend is a programmer and didn't give much thought to aesthetics (he really said "just make it 'greece'"). So the art style will be these assets I'm doing, I guess...? I'll link the shields I made before. It's the two last pieces. Maybe it give some ideia about the overall concept: https://polycount.com/discussion/222831/shield-designs-and-a-gladius-feedback-wanted

I really made the handle less scratched because it's supposed to be a sword of a living soldier and I thought if it had sword cutting marks on it it's bearer would've lost some fingers lol. I did made some wear and dirt marks on it, but I probably did messed up something on exporting. I uploaded it to Sketchfab for further view. For some reason the viewer isn't working, so I'd linked it.

And, at last, do you mind if I ask you to be more specific about that "love" part? I did put some real effort on this model, but it seems you didn't feel it :# What would you have done different?
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    Definitely looks better in sketchfab, the details on the handle are not visible in the original screenshots. Those orthographic screens aren´t really showing anything off  :) It would probably be good tho to pick an artstyle for these types of projects, like weather it´s supposed to be realistic looking or slightly stylized, and if so stylized in what way, It´s just harder to critique stuff when you don´t have a clear idea what the goal is.
  • Semperfoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So did you felt some love, then? XD

Thanks again, Johannes! I agree with you, this is not in a clearly realistic nor fantastic style. I think it may be the guard, as the blade and the handle doesnt have that much to say.

And I should've been aware that those screen shot could be better. I'll give it more attention when I post the next iteration.