Home Technical Talk

Maya / Weird artifact

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
corymeyer polycounter lvl 6
I'm making a 3D model of a product in Maya. I modeled it up, put UVs on the top, and textured it. I come to find out that some buttons need to be rotated, so I removed the texture from the material and then deleted the UVs, thinking that it would roll back the model to before those were applied. I need to cut into the surface to rotate the buttons, but when I make the cut (extraction), the model has these strange artifacts.

How can this problem be fixed?

Replies

• Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Well.. I can't be sure if I got it right, but.. this seems to be a really bad workflow. 
    If you have given this top ice cream lid its own uv shell, then you can rotate it instead of the mesh itself.
    You can also apply different materials to different uv shells.
    Personally, I wouldn't mess up with uv layout after having set all textures up.
  • corymeyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    corymeyer polycounter lvl 6
    Yerus said:
    Well.. I can't be sure if I got it right, but.. this seems to be a really bad workflow. 
    If you have given this top ice cream lid its own uv shell, then you can rotate it instead of the mesh itself.
    You can also apply different materials to different uv shells.
    Personally, I wouldn't mess up with uv layout after having set all textures up.

Thanks!