Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Character - Stylized Mecha Suit

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Cylar polycounter lvl 4
Hi everybody,
My first post on this forum. I am mid-level 3D artist. I have experience with props and environment assets but I'm considered new for characters. I could only work on my personal projects on characters for 1-2 years.  I can only work on detailed characters when I can find free time. That's why I don't have much experience. (I worked for a mobile game company) I started this project because I don't have any stylized game-ready character in my portfolio. My main goal is to make a piece which I can show my skills. Therefore, this project I want to show both my organic and hard surface skills. I planned to a humanoid male character and his mecha suit. At the end of this project, My goal is both character will be game ready modelled, textured, rigged. Then I want to animate them and put in Unity for rendering a short scene. 

Let me talk a little bit about characters I dreamed of and the features I thougt to be. The main character's name is "Dwock". 
Dwock is semi-dwarf. He lives far ahead from today. He is a cyborg and has mech pieces and a advanced mecha suit. He is member of a advanced miner community in the world. He travels interplanetary to fulfill their assigned tasks. Dwock has a few meele combat weapons and a small gun. 
The Mecha suit has heavy guns.

I inspired from "Love, Death, Robots- Suits" chapter for mecha suit combat and I loved Overwatch's art style. So, I aim to make it like Overwatch art style. Actually, I will try to mix Reinhardt-D.VA-Torbjorn. Let's start :)

Firstly, Let me show you the first version of the Dwock (It will be rework):

I did him a few mouths ago. Then, I decided to this project and start with his mecha suit. Normally, I wanted to share it step-by-step but I couldn't. 
High poly stage of this mecha suit is almost over but I'm glad to hear your feedback. If It's possible, I want to fixed any problems. I am sharing final high poly stage now but I will share old steps with other post then I want to share as I do the whole process.

Mecha Suit Final High-Poly stage:

Cocpit is just blockout. I will do it after main character. Addionally, I will make heavy gun for suit.

I have no 2d drawing skills so, I did this from imagination and referances.

Replies

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Nice suit design, feels like a scifi dwarf :)

What are your plans for the interior?
    How do you want to make the suit for Dwock?

Currently the front looks empty but is the door actually a transparent surface?

• Zonvolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Zonvolt polycounter lvl 7
    Mech suit looks good! Like Crazy_pixel said the front looks a little bare, especially compared to the back. What are your plans for it? I'm guessing it might be glass so you can see him inside piloting, or metal with some sort of graphic painted on. One cool idea you could consider is if it was some sort of LCD screen, and it displayed some sort of face.

How did you add some of the panel lines if you don't mind me asking? For example, on the tricep.

For the dwarf I think you could have him be a bit more chiseled. Right now his face and beard look very smooth and soft, while the Overwatch style you're aiming for has some stronger creases, curves and edges.

Lookin forward to seeing more!
  • Cylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylar polycounter lvl 4
    Nice suit design, feels like a scifi dwarf :)

What are your plans for the interior?
    How do you want to make the suit for Dwock?

Currently the front looks empty but is the door actually a transparent surface?

Zonvolt said:
    Mech suit looks good! Like Crazy_pixel said the front looks a little bare, especially compared to the back. What are your plans for it? I'm guessing it might be glass so you can see him inside piloting, or metal with some sort of graphic painted on. One cool idea you could consider is if it was some sort of LCD screen, and it displayed some sort of face.

How did you add some of the panel lines if you don't mind me asking? For example, on the tricep.

For the dwarf I think you could have him be a bit more chiseled. Right now his face and beard look very smooth and soft, while the Overwatch style you're aiming for has some stronger creases, curves and edges.

I am glad you both like it :)

I want to make interior like this:

This is Netflix series "Love, Death & Robots" - Suits chapter. I love this chapter and I want to make like that. But it will be narrower and much sci-fi. 

For now, it looks empty but when I add interior, front side will be like the back side as level of detail.
  • Cylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylar polycounter lvl 4
    Zonvolt said:

They are just float. I make curve IMM brush and use on surface. First I made the shape I wanted with zmodeler and then I used a curve brush around it. They might seem a little thick for now. But after baking process, only inner parts will be seen on model :)

And Yes, you are quiet right about Dwock's style. 
    That's one of the reasons I want to overhaul it anyway :)  
  • Zonvolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Zonvolt polycounter lvl 7
    Cylar said:

They are just float. I make curve IMM brush and use on surface. First I made the shape I wanted with zmodeler and then I used a curve brush around it. They might seem a little thick for now. But after baking process, only inner parts will be seen on model :)

And Yes, you are quiet right about Dwock's style. That's one of the reasons I want to overhaul it anyway :)  
    Oh wow didn't know you could do that! Is there any sort of clean up in the bake you need to do afterwards? I'm excited to see how your bakes turn out.
  • Cylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylar polycounter lvl 4
    I've tested it before panneling. Almost no cleaning required :) Of cource it depends to situtation.
     Here are the test results :

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Very cool love this so far, its very interesting and i too really liked that love,death,robots chapter.
    One spot gets under my skin, its the boots front back and front foot (toes) folding area.

basically do something if you want to. (front shoe curve example)
    I know game designing, metal boots in past games is not reality and there are worse examples, though it does stand out to me.

Either-way you choose i like this and look forward to more, agree about the front looking plain and like the digital face idea brought up.

And i think the indenting parts you are making can use more indentation (better curving with the cuts, 45 degree angles if you can manage it) like this rough example.

Hope it helps (reason to be seen at all angles much better), looking forward to more as others are as well, nice work.
  • Cylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylar polycounter lvl 4
    DavidCruz said:
    Very cool love this so far, its very interesting and i too really liked that love,death,robots chapter.
    One spot gets under my skin, its the boots front back and front foot (toes) folding area.

I know game designing, metal boots in past games is not reality and there are worse examples, though it does stand out to me.

Either-way you choose i like this and look forward to more, agree about the front looking plain and like the digital face idea brought up.

And i think the indenting parts you are making can use more indentation (better curving with the cuts, 45 degree angles if you can manage it) like this rough example.

Hope it helps (reason to be seen at all angles much better), looking forward to more as others are as well, nice work.
    These are really good feedbacks. Thank you for all. I think the feedback you give especially on the front and back of the boat will be very useful. I will try it very soon :)
  • Cylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylar polycounter lvl 4
     DavidCruz said:

I did your feedbacks and it got better. Thank you again :)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Heck yea you did a good job with it, looks stronger.
  • Cylar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cylar polycounter lvl 4
    Hi eveyone :)
    I start sculpt to Dwock's body. Here are some frames of his unfinished version. In fact, almost no part of his body will appear in his final imagination but after a while I started the model in order to extract body proprotions, I wanted to elabrote a little more and it came to this state:) It has been a good stylized anatomy practice for me.  He's a semi-dwarf therefore I didn't make it too short. About 1.60 cm. My anatomy knowledge is poor so I'm glad to hear your feedback. Especially about body proportions. His hands and foots are not even close to ending. I have to work a little more on his legs.