Home Technical Talk

How do you pick a Brand?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
garciiia polycounter lvl 3
Just wondering which brand you chose for your graphic-cards, mainboards, displays and so on. And how you decide that.
I thought that BenQ is sort of the nobrainer nowadays bc they get recommended all over the communities.
A photographer told me a few days ago that it's only a sticker-brand, produces nothing but puts their name on the stuff.
He's a grumpy guy so the level of trust is about 5 out of 10 =)  And even if that's true,.. who cares as long as they are selling good screens!?

I always bought AMD GPUs from XFX when my PCs were only for gaming. For the simple reason that i never had a problem with the brand and got one of the cards as a birthday gift when i was like 16. So i never saw a reason to give another brand a chance. Now i need Nvidia GPUs and was wondering how to pick the manufacturer.

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    > A photographer told me a few days ago that it's only a sticker-brand, produces nothing but puts their name on the stuff.

This is mostly true, the two largest panel manufacturers are Samsung and LG but there are loads of companies you've probably never heard of who provide a vast bulk of them too. Take a look on TFTCentral for the best information about monitor technologies. The reason I say mostly, is because panel brands like BenQ aren't entirely hands off, if they want to make a product with a particular specification they'll ask LG/Samsung or whoever to make them a panel that fits the spec. Most of their cheaper products will probably just be bulk purchases of whatever the panel manufacturers have got stock of though.

Regarding brands for graphics cards there are basically 3-4 things to pay attention to, there are more, but in my opinion these are the big ones:
    * Warranty
    * Cooling
    * Design
    * Size -- Nvidia sometimes releases smaller PCB on their low/mid tier cards, but also cooler sizes are worth paying attention to

Most of them have similar warranty policies and cooling so to be honest in practise the biggest deciding factors are usually just choosing a GPU that fits nice and that looks good.

I probably missed a lot, but it's usually case-by-case by this point
  • garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garciiia polycounter lvl 3
    Is there a way to figure out which kind of Panel Dell is using or are those secrets?
    And is that important at all? I mean.. as long as the screen is delivering what i need.. who cares?
    I have a Samsung Display and it's the worst designed piece of hardware i ever had in my live. And i am currently using an iPhone... that's only the second worst.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    garciiia said:
    Is there a way to figure out which kind of Panel Dell is using or are those secrets?
    They don't publish it on their websites, but it's not a secret. Most detailed reviews, like the ones on tftcentral, mention the panel.
    Like Axi5 wrote, there are only few panel manufacturers LG, Samsung and AUO. Displays with similar specs usually have the same panel, but they can perform very differently depending on the other parts.

In general I recommend to chose a product, not a brand.
    Make sure you know your own requirements, find some potential candidates and read reviews from websites that you trust.