Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Halloween scene! :D

Silver64
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Silver64 polycounter lvl 5
Working on a spooky Halloween scene in Maya! I would love any Critique and advice you guys may have!!! :D My reference for the tree is the Creepy Trees, Eye tree!

Replies

• Protokoll_Studio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protokoll_Studio polycounter lvl 4
    Hey ! Nice idea. The Eye Tree is really nice.

I would add more branches and some should be thicker.
    The upper branches are too thin in my opinion. There are too many curves on the trunk, it's too soft to be a scary tree.

You already have a good base. Try to apply these few changes :)

Little idea: You could add an eye in the trunk of the tree (instead of a hole where you usually have an owl in it).
  • Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I noticed the same problem after I posted this and made those upper branches that I'm going to have to re-make them. As for the trunk I was trying to go along with my guess on the reference when it came to the curves. Should the curves be sharper? Or less you think?
  • Protokoll_Studio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you can keep the reference but I suggest you to make the curves sharper (see the reference)
  • Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATES! TREE!

• Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Protokoll_Studio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice ! The tree is really better. Keep it up :)
  • Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2!! This time I'm including UVs and some new lighting! I'd love for anyone to throw their critique at me for this! Especially the UVs. I believe something is off about them but, I can't put my figure on it! Please and thank you!! :DD
    Middle PumpkinTreeRight Pumpkin
  • Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a little better lit scene!
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

Notes for next time when you tackle a project:

Really neat, i should have read it was the eye design you went after but then its better i missed that cause i used the hand for the example i am trying to show you if you put some time into at the least attempting to draw it out 1st, i can see a pretty cool soron(lotr's) pumpkin head eye combination attempt design you can make with the idea you are creating here currently, just maybe smash the two pumpkins like a murtated pumpkin that fused together (it happens i've seen some things XD ) so its still possible somewhat realistic interesting from both sides.

You are somewhat still in a good place to make changes (doing this stuff you will be doing things over, at least from what i've heard in the past, renditions from clients or differenrt directions so its best to get used to it early)

I'll try to come back and help more but atm i am needed elsewhere, the link attached is inspired from your thread and the reference you shown, If you want to attempt something like that YOU have my permission to do so.  It is a lot tougher though and more time consuming, the eye design idea seems like a better place for you currently, look up on artstation some stylized tree bark designs and get inspired by a few of those and add them to your bark.

Will return when i can add more time into this post...
  • Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I'm taking what time I can to work on my scene, even if its just 10 minutes to get this done as some point that is in my eyes,. Good enough. And to get feedback on it to get better critiques on it as well!

If I have time to figure out if I can fuse my pumpkins together, I will see if I can Frankenstein them. One idea I currently have is modeling a eye into the tree to make it a little more creepy.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

I just read your reply, ironic how i also ended up putting an evil eye in my tree (in my digital thread if you want to see the finished thing.) also, but that only came about because of the theme i started to pick up on while working on the concept that your thread inspired thanks again (reference image above with the hand version) eye in the hand representative of the nailing on the cross "even though recently they said it was his wrist areas now..", then from the movie Evil Dead.  Recommend watching it, it might give you some more neat ideas.

I'd say the only way to learn is by doing, and viewing other peoples works, and reading the polycount wiki: http://wiki.polycount.com/
    lots of information there that answer lots of questions, tons of videos online.

From what i can see now, the topology and forms (to make it more interesting) needs a bit of work. 
    As a learning piece though it's good enough, just use this as a learning process, i make and abandon stuff when it doesn't look right or totally redo things, uv/modeling.  <Bascially what will happen anyway in a production environment anyway (sometimes totally redoing the entire thing, cause they changed it all) so get used to it early.

If you can figure out the Square/Box unwrapping method that will probably make a world of difference in how the uv map/texture looks, you have to deal with some stretching and possible oddness but it all comes from learning over time. (took me 2-3 pieces of doing to learn it, its alright.)
    Hopefully that helps, i do like this little project but use it as a learning piece for things you want to improve on in the future.  Its cool it works, its neat, just don't get too attached :) cause one day you have to let your baby go..into the big digital world.. :(

(.Being silly.) I can see a nice little house and bats flying about, so these tree's and pumpkins can lead into an entire project of pieces. :) Think big, good luck.