Home General Discussion

Does anyone have an "atmos" sound system or soundbar connected to pc and working?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
Hi. Not sure if this is the right section for this kind of stuff, but it doesnt belong to tech talk so I think it should be ok. I'm looking for someone who has an atmos home theather system or soundbar connected to its pc, and working. The reason is that recently I bought a sony soundbar because I used the monitors built in speakers for many years, which doesn't really provide good sound quality, so movies or games doesn't sound good either. So I got the soundbar, and I'm experiencing many issues regarding its main advertised features. Namely atmos and dts-x. The product ships with one piece of optical cable, which I found that it doesnt even support these features at all. So I connected this piece of shit to my graphics card with a hdmi cable, but the features were still not working. When I right click the speaker icon on the desktop, the atmos option shows up, but when I click it, it immediately reverts to some other settings. Then I tried to set it up through dolby access. It takes me to some sound settings in windows. In the specifications, it shows that the output device supports the mentioned features. But when I try to set the surround setting to atmos, it gives me an error message saying that something went wrong while trying to set up surround sound. I did a lot of googling , and I found several forum posts saying similar things to my case, like they are unable to get them to work, when the device is connected to a graphics card. I contacted the sony support, but they don't seem to have much clue about what is happening in general. I was bullshiting with them, and trying to find an answer on the internet for so long, it turns out I can't even send back the device now. Based on my research, some people managed to get it to work, but the solution they posed didn't work for me. Is there someone here who has a similar device and have it working with a pc?

Thanks.

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I can only offer some limited experience with older Dolby and DTS systems, hope it might be still helpful.

It drove me nearly crazy to setup and I had to buy an extra sound card.

For "pre"-encoded audio (BR, DVD,...) graphic card HDMI connection should work, but not for any realtime sounds. For realtime you need a dedicated audio chip (onboard possible) with Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect for encoding. Even though I could choose surround sound in the audio settings, it didn't work probably till I activated DDL and DTS connect in the sound effects settings and changed the standards audio format.
    Sometimes one or the other settings changed for whatever reason and I had to switch it back, all in all it was a mess. 

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Thank you, this is already more than what the support told me, and what I could gather from various random posts on the internet.