Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[3d Environment Art] First Completed Project

Brandon_KyT
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Brandon_KyT polycounter lvl 2
Hello!

I just started learning 3d art a month ago. Since then I've been educating myself on the different workflows of each different software.

Here is my first completed project since then. Everything you see (aside from the vines) was modeled, sculpted and textured using Maya, Zbrush and Substance Painter. Post processing was done in UE4. Any Critiques would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Good start!
    The biggest issue for me are the lights. You should place lights in their correct world position e.g. if you want light to come from inside the house, then place the light/s inside the house, where it makes sense to have lights, not where the light is visible. If you find that this method is not enough and you want more light to be visible in certain areas, then add fill lights, but disable shadows on them, decrease the radius and intensity, and decrease the faloff exponent, so that you get a faint brightening in some specific place but without looking like you put a lightbulb there.
    Second thing is that there is nothing around the house, add some mountains, a treeline, something. If you want to do a diorama then remove the sky.
    There are some assets that have just a color and no texture like the hexagonal wood beams and it seems that the wall normalmap is inverted. Other than that, solid piece of art.
    Keep at it.
  • Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon_KyT polycounter lvl 2
    teodar23 said:
    Good start!
    The biggest issue for me are the lights. You should place lights in their correct world position e.g. if you want light to come from inside the house, then place the light/s inside the house, where it makes sense to have lights, not where the light is visible. If you find that this method is not enough and you want more light to be visible in certain areas, then add fill lights, but disable shadows on them, decrease the radius and intensity, and decrease the faloff exponent, so that you get a faint brightening in some specific place but without looking like you put a lightbulb there.
    Second thing is that there is nothing around the house, add some mountains, a treeline, something. If you want to do a diorama then remove the sky.
    There are some assets that have just a color and no texture like the hexagonal wood beams and it seems that the wall normalmap is inverted. Other than that, solid piece of art.
    Keep at it.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure to keep all of those things in mind for my next project.