Home Technical Talk

(Sorted) Environment Prop Textures

BMovie
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BMovie polycounter lvl 6
Hi all
I'm in the middle of making an apartment and i'm about to start the texturing phase of the props. A few of the props in the house are all made with the same wood and metal contruction. e.g. Coat cupboard, Table stand and the stool, etc. Like they come in a set.

I was wondering which way would be a more ideal way of texturing props for a 3rd person environment, but would like it to look good for my portfolio as its only going to be used for my portfolio

each prop to have it's own 512 or 1k normals map, then on a second UV, a 2k texture map for all the props to be layed out on.
or is it more cost effective to have everything on its on 512 to 1k texture maps ?
unless there is a different way/more efficiant way of creating the maps for props i've not looked into.

thank you for your time.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Just map everything to one or two ordinary texture sets. There's no benefit to doing anything more complicated in 99.9% of situations (and usually some sort of cost)

as a potential employer I'd be much more interested in how you handle your UVs than anything else
  • BMovie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BMovie polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you poopipe for the reply, I'll put stick to the ordinary way of texturing props and focus on how i use my UV layouts.