Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique, Game environment: 90's post apocalyptic school encampment

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey Everyone

First time posting on polycount :). Just finished my first game environment, a 90's post apocalyptic school encampment. Showcasing my final renders and hoping for some critique / pointers on where to improve for my next project. For a few more shots please see my art station link https://westbarbary.artstation.com/ 

Many thanks
Ross

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks good!
    What i would do different is use some form of edge rounding for the walls and pillars. Maybe add some edge decals and some large cracks.
    The pure white light doesnt work at that angle, probably would be slightly orange realistically.
    I expected more debris on the floor and more overgrown. And maybe some dust, but not fog. If i see another interior with fog, i swear to god... :P
    The story can be worked on a bit more. Like, what happened? Maybe we get a hint on the chalkboard or written on a wall. Nothing too revealing, just a hint. Dunno.
  • Westbarbary
    Hey Thanks for the feedback :) i did add a bevel onto those pillars but think i made it way too tight. I did a little self reflective thing at the end of this project to see where i could improve upon, lighting is definitely an area i need to improve! I also need to learn to use trim sheets aswell. When researching today i think the scene would have been alot easier to piece together if i had a tileable texture as a base instead of uniquely unwrapping each section of wall 

I did add a dust particle system but the struggles i found were stopping an overall spread of it. What i mean by that is the dust seemed to give the effect it was reacting to direct light even when it wasn't, started to look like fire flies all over the scene :P

Think my next project will be a futuristic Japanese alley so will start working on story elements now. As you can probably tell story wise i was reacting to the scene whilst making it, rookie mistake but we live and learn :)

Thank again 
    Ross
  • Protokoll_Studio
    Offline / Send Message
    Protokoll_Studio polycounter lvl 4
    As @teodar23 said, it would be better if you had more debris on the floor. You can add a city/village background in the windows?
    You already made a really good job! How long did it take you to create that scene?
  • KW_Arts
    Offline / Send Message
    KW_Arts polygon
    @Westbarbary This is looking like a really strong scene, any form of critique would be nit picky at this point, its looking really awesome. The only thing I could say is potentially have some more scattering of the organic debris from where it has feel through the ceiling? It seems too neatly piled up. If the debris fell from that distance, you'd expect a greater impact on the floor and therefore greater scattering if that makes sense?
  • Westbarbary
    Hey thanks both @KW_Arts and @Protokoll_Studio for the kind words and feedback. I agree more debris scatter can be added, I was trying to convey the impact the roof collapsing would have had on the lower floor but it does come across a little light on the ground

I didn't consider having a city back drop and in all honesty I wouldn't know how to do it even though it would be a good idea to add 🙂

The scene in all took me aprox 4 months, I had quite a few set backs due to not properly planning before modeling or having a proper understanding of texel density. Also I could have saved Soo much time if I didn't uniquely texture each wall/ item! I'm going to work through a trim sheet tutorial this weekend, onwards and upwards 🙂

Thanks again!
    Ross