Home Career & Education

Is the name "Milica" complicated brand name to remember/pronounce?

I want to create social media accounts for my art but my real name is pronounced differently from the way it's spelled (It's not Milky-ka, but MILL-itz-ah) It might create confusion or might be difficult to remember. 
What do you think? 

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    i think not using your actual name makes things difficult for people trying to hire you to do work 

• decopeko
    poopipe said:
    i think not using your actual name makes things difficult for people trying to hire you to do work 

Yeah but I can always write my actual name beneath my username.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    get used to people pronouncing your name wrongly. it doesnt really matter. happens all the time.
  • decopeko
    Neox said:
    get used to people pronouncing your name wrongly. it doesnt really matter. happens all the time.
    I think it does matter. You want people to easily remember your name and its spelling when searching you up for business. 
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    decopeko said:
    Neox said:
    I think it does matter. You want people to easily remember your name and its spelling when searching you up for business. 

i am doing this since almost 20 years now. my name has been  steven, stephen, stephan, steffan even stephon but barely ever Steffen. people find you. it really isnt a big deal, it happens all the time. focus on your craft and people will find you for that. i'd argue that a nickname/brandname can also be spelled and pronounced wrong. it will just happen.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    To be completely blunt...

If you're starting a business and it needs a name that's one thing but contriving a personal brand with a wrestler name is something I find really off-putting. 
    I want to work with people who trade in the quality of their work, not their image
  • decopeko
    poopipe said:
    To be completely blunt...

If you're starting a business and it needs a name that's one thing but contriving a personal brand with a wrestler name is something I find really off-putting. 
    I want to work with people who trade in the quality of their work, not their image
    I don't know what you guys have in mind when I say I am thinking about slightly changing my real name to make it easy on people... I wouldn't make a personal brand name called "xxSweetLittlePieGirlxx" but something that will be easily remembered and pronounced, but still sounding professional. Maybe I will shorten it up, so it doesn't have that trickly letter "c" that is pronounced differently in my region from the rest of the world.
    Besides that, you have numerous examples of people changing their first/last names to sound more catchy and memorable.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    If I followed you on social media, Milica is super easy to remember. I would definitely pronounce it with a hard C, but I wouldn't forget the username, and I agree with Neox, as long as people remember the name, and as long as they can remember how it's spelled (to show your work to other people), I don't think it matters how they say it.

Then once you're working with them, you can tell them how to say it right.
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    99% of the time my name gets mispronounced - both name and surname. At a previous job where I was sending out letters to lawyers/clients I had people call me by phone to inquire if a male or female because they were not used to the spelling so to know how to properly address me in the response. I even had a professor spend several minutes before starting the oral exam telling me how it should be pronounced before we could move on to the exam itself... now working in Poland I can't pronounce half my teammates names correctly, a fate shared by most foreigners in the studio (and don't ask me to write those MF-names down from memory - I feel like a total failure :D ).

But at the end of the day none of it matters. It actually can be confusing if someone is using a different way of writing it when presenting him/herself compared to what's then written in legal documents. As I child I was adding a 'c' to my name to help German speaking read it properly... but that doesn't fly in official papers, so I stopped doing it when I got older.
  • decopeko
    Joopson said:
    If I followed you on social media, Milica is super easy to remember. I would definitely pronounce it with a hard C, but I wouldn't forget the username, and I agree with Neox, as long as people remember the name, and as long as they can remember how it's spelled (to show your work to other people), I don't think it matters how they say it.

Then once you're working with them, you can tell them how to say it right.
    Thanks for your opinion, I will consier what you said 😊
  • decopeko
    Biomag said:
    99% of the time my name gets mispronounced - both name and surname. At a previous job where I was sending out letters to lawyers/clients I had people call me by phone to inquire if a male or female because they were not used to the spelling so to know how to properly address me in the response. I even had a professor spend several minutes before starting the oral exam telling me how it should be pronounced before we could move on to the exam itself... now working in Poland I can't pronounce half my teammates names correctly, a fate shared by most foreigners in the studio (and don't ask me to write those MF-names down from memory - I feel like a total failure :D ).

But at the end of the day none of it matters. It actually can be confusing if someone is using a different way of writing it when presenting him/herself compared to what's then written in legal documents. As I child I was adding a 'c' to my name to help German speaking read it properly... but that doesn't fly in official papers, so I stopped doing it when I got older.
    Hahaha oh god... Do you regret then using your real name? Do you think it made potential clients confused when they were trying to search you up? 
  • Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Nope - as a kid in a foreign country is was annoying. But once I grew up I've stopped carrying about it at all and took this attitude into work life :)  

For business it makes little difference. Especially if its just pronunciation and not crazy spelling. You should have your name and email address on your images anyways - so they just have to type it. With digital communication you will be having (working) links in all your communication it becomes a complete non-issue. Keep in mind that this whole industry is used to be international and people are used to mispronunciations and unusual spelling (or hearing Russian short versions of names likes Sasha for Alexander - because these make total sense  :/ ... ;) ). So when it comes to picking up names of business contacts people will be paying more attention anyhow to get them right (or just click on the link and copy paste - again we are mostly digital) :)
  • decopeko
    Biomag said:
    Nope - as a kid in a foreign country is was annoying. But once I grew up I've stopped carrying about it at all and took this attitude into work life :)  

For business it makes little difference. Especially if its just pronunciation and not crazy spelling. You should have your name and email address on your images anyways - so they just have to type it. With digital communication you will be having (working) links in all your communication it becomes a complete non-issue. Keep in mind that this whole industry is used to be international and people are used to mispronunciations and unusual spelling (or hearing Russian short versions of names likes Sasha for Alexander - because these make total sense  :/ ... ;) ). So when it comes to picking up names of business contacts people will be paying more attention anyhow to get them right (or just click on the link and copy paste - again we are mostly digital) :)
    Awesome. I needed to hear this lol