Home Career & Education

Feeling too nervous to post to Artstation

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
proto93 polycounter lvl 4
I am a hobbyist for the most part and a beginner. I have just finished this and I am really happy with how it came out. I want to post it to Artstation but I am really nervous. I don’t have an issue posting it to deviantart but when it comes to Artstation I feel this pressure. Like it is full of hardcore talent and that my pokemon doesn’t belong on the site. Like I need to do better.

How can I get over this? Just keep practicing until I feel confident enough with a piece to actually post it? Is it all in my head and I should just post it anyways?

Replies

• proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screw it im going for it.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Yes do it!
    Post new stuff and delete old stuff if it does not show your current skill.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Yep, just do it. You'll notice when your new work is surpassing the quality of your old work, and start cleaning up your portfolio. Basically I jsut said what oglu said, but in a different way, haha.

Also, I'm wondering. What kind of 3D art you're doing? 3D assets for film/movies, advertisements or video games?
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, just do it. You'll notice when your new work is surpassing the quality of your old work, and start cleaning up your portfolio. Basically I jsut said what oglu said, but in a different way, haha.

Also, I'm wondering. What kind of 3D art you're doing? 3D assets for film/movies, advertisements or video games?
    Right now I am practicing for game assets. I hope to one day combine it with my programming knowledge to make small indie games
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    you found the solution of how to get over it, you posted it :) everything is always scary at first, you just have to force yourself to do it. do it a few times and it becomes way less scary and intimidating. your mind is great at coming up with worst case scenarios, but 99.9% of them will never happen.

when i first stated making youtube videos, i thought people would make snarky comments about me being a pale, bald, ginger but its never happened hahah. if anything the exact opposite happened, where people were posting super positive responses. 

fear and insecurity about things outside your comfort zone will really hold you back. in reality, artstation and deviant art are the same, its a bunch of strangers posting .jpgs on the internet.

your portfolio will get better over time and you can just audit the old work that is no longer representivie of your skill level out of it. its an organic process, too many people hold off on posting anything until they feel their portfolio is "ready" and never end up posting their work at all. 

good job on taking the first step :) 
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you found the solution of how to get over it, you posted it :) everything is always scary at first, you just have to force yourself to do it. do it a few times and it becomes way less scary and intimidating. your mind is great at coming up with worst case scenarios, but 99.9% of them will never happen.

when i first stated making youtube videos, i thought people would make snarky comments about me being a pale, bald, ginger but its never happened hahah. if anything the exact opposite happened, where people were posting super positive responses. 

fear and insecurity about things outside your comfort zone will really hold you back. in reality, artstation and deviant art are the same, its a bunch of strangers posting .jpgs on the internet.

your portfolio will get better over time and you can just audit the old work that is no longer representivie of your skill level out of it. its an organic process, too many people hold off on posting anything until they feel their portfolio is "ready" and never end up posting their work at all. 

good job on taking the first step :) 

Honestly that fear has kept me from posting heads here for feedback. I often feel like I am not ready to ask the pros for help.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Don't think of people here as pros; think of them as peers with more experience.

Heck, a lot of people here legitimately aren't pros. But the ones who are, and who post here often, are the kind of people who love to help and give pointers.

Good on you for posting. It's a very cute sculpt!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Joopson said:
    Don't think of people here as pros; think of them as peers with more experience.

Heck, a lot of people here legitimately aren't pros. But the ones who are, and who post here often, are the kind of people who love to help and give pointers.

Nailed it.
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:

Thanks. I am going to retexture a few more pokemon so my artstation doesnt look so empty. But after that I will try to make a character and post it here for feedback
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    proto93 said:
    Joopson said:

Thanks. I am going to retexture a few more pokemon so my artstation doesnt look so empty. But after that I will try to make a character and post it here for feedback
    Always post here for feedback! The head and body are great, the legs might need a bit of work! If you are into creating characters, animals, monsters, i suggest you try searching/learning a bit of anatomy! Even stylized characters sort of need it. You can also take a look at websites like pluralsight, they have video lessons for 3d and are quite cheap. 
    Nonetheless, posting here is a great step towards you getting better and achieving your goals! Good luck in the future and keep being motivated!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Screw it im going for it.

That's it.

imo no better way too learn but todo...

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I've got shit on my artstation that i would turn me down for lol.
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I started my first full character today. Got up at 5 so I could sculpt for an hour before work. This was my first time woking on the body and oh my god its way more complex than it looks. Even with references up it really is a struggle if you do not understand how the inside bones and muscles flow.

I guess the only thing I can do is keep practicing anatomy and hope for the best. Though to be honest I am starting to like that ball for a head lol.

Larry said:
    proto93 said:
    Joopson said:

Always post here for feedback! The head and body are great, the legs might need a bit of work! If you are into creating characters, animals, monsters, i suggest you try searching/learning a bit of anatomy! Even stylized characters sort of need it. You can also take a look at websites like pluralsight, they have video lessons for 3d and are quite cheap. 
    Nonetheless, posting here is a great step towards you getting better and achieving your goals! Good luck in the future and keep being motivated!

Actually I want to make characters. I tend to make pokemon frequently though as a procrastination from human anatomy. I really need to break that habit. My end goal is to one day make decent looking characters.
  • grumix8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grumix8 polycounter lvl 4
    don't be afraid artstation is fulled witht he same people everywhere, they all have flaws and sins.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if you were starving you'd do anything to get a bite to eat. 

you want to make a living making art, then you are making art to live. so treat it with the same severity. Nobodies stupid opinion gonna get in the way of you making the art. 

use peer pressure to help you, not hurt you
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    proto93, it takes years t o get good at this stuff, not an hour before work :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved this from General Discussion to Career & Education since this is fundamentally about motivation, and you'll find some great resources about it in the Sticky, and other threads here. 

Keep on trucking!