Home Technical Talk

Is dual cpu worth it?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Larry interpolator
Hey guys I will be buying a new pc and I am having this dilemma. The new nvidia 3090ti costs about 1500euros, and is by far better than other gpus. The same amount of money I could spend on a dual cpu motherboard, and buy the 3080 instead. Is the dual cpu more worth for 3d? Are these both over the top? Thanks :)

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Just grab a Threadripper with 24 cores if you like more CPU power. No need for dual CPU.
    But there are only a view tools out there that make use of so much cores.

It really depends on what tools you are using. If you do a lot of fx in houdini  or need to render heavy scenes go for CPU power.
    Otherwise stick with GPU.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Dual CPU is a waste of money these days. Like Oglu said; if you want a lot of cores just get a Threadripper.
    As for the GPU, I'd wait to see when the 20GB 3080 or 16GB 3070 will release. The 3090 is a bit overkill and the 10GB 3080 is looking like a stop-gap measure on Nvidias part while they wait to see what AMD does.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah,  multiple CPU systems are pretty pointless in terms of workstations these days. Lots of added expense and you'll struggle to find anything that really takes advantage.

Also, buying a new system right now is a pretty bad idea. I'm having to physically restrain myself from buying parts as we speak..

The sensible thing to do is wait on the AMD CPU announcements next month (allegedly)- even if you don't like the new ones the worst case is the 39** series getting cheaper.
    I'd second the advice above on waiting for the second round of 30series cards too.

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    poopipe said:
    Yeah,  multiple CPU systems are pretty pointless in terms of workstations these days. Lots of added expense and you'll struggle to find anything that really takes advantage.

Also, buying a new system right now is a pretty bad idea. I'm having to physically restrain myself from buying parts as we speak..

The sensible thing to do is wait on the AMD CPU announcements next month (allegedly)- even if you don't like the new ones the worst case is the 39** series getting cheaper.
    I'd second the advice above on waiting for the second round of 30series cards too.

The thing is that I dont have a computer right now as I just moved to finland and I need one for work, interview tests etc.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes things awkward. 

Maybe get a motherboard/ram combo that's future compatible and a lower end CPU temporarily?   eg. 570 chipset with a 3600 then you can look at the 4900 or whatever it'll be called when it comes out. 
    It's unlikely 30series GPU prices will drop any time soon so I don't think a 3080 will be a bad investment - it'll be price proportionate to the other cards being speculated about when they show up.

If you're doing game art a mid-high spec consumer grade system is all you really need. There's very little benefit to going for workstation/server grade hardware these days. 
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    poopipe said:
    That makes things awkward. 

Maybe get a motherboard/ram combo that's future compatible and a lower end CPU temporarily?   eg. 570 chipset with a 3600 then you can look at the 4900 or whatever it'll be called when it comes out. 
    It's unlikely 30series GPU prices will drop any time soon so I don't think a 3080 will be a bad investment - it'll be price proportionate to the other cards being speculated about when they show up.

If you're doing game art a mid-high spec consumer grade system is all you really need. There's very little benefit to going for workstation/server grade hardware these days. 
    Yea, previously I was using an i3 and I could never before afford something high end, so I dont know what is worth,nor the differences. I was leaning towards intel's i9 10900k till you guys told me about amd coming up and if they are going to be around the 500-600 euro mark then i'll get the one with the most threads
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Dual CPUs made sense when single or dual core CPUs were used and the RAM "per CPU" was quite limited, but that was years ago. As the others already recommended, don't do dual.
    If you are planning to get a RTX3080, be aware that they are sold out everywhere and probably wont be available any time soon.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    + there is a 20GB version for the 3080 comming.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

I.c. 3080 not 3090 ... oppsie, i made a dumb.

20gb? linus has a 24gb so if you want more afaik if he has it, its out?
    https://youtu.be/JDUnSsx62j8?t=231
    ^Starts talking about gb's immediately, if not 3:51
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I built 2 of such, its not worth it
    get a 3950X that is absolute killer right now
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Except that AMD will announce their new lineup in ten days and the 3950x will be replaced by something faster that costs the same

Today is not the day to buy a cpu