Home Technical Talk

Xnormal baking ALL map types as i do diffuse?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello

I had a scan, few milion polygons, i "converted" this (retopo etc.) into a lower poly version of 10 000 polygon and Diffuse, Displacement (32 bit EXR) and Normals maps (the "standard one" - purple-ish :-) ). I deleted the original scan.

Now i "discovered" that i would like to have also even lower poly version of this asset, (around 1000 polys lets say).

I have done retopo on the 10 000 polygon mesh (which is the only one i have, i dont have anymore the original scan (mesh or anything else)). And i have "re-bake" the Diffuse map from the 10 000 poly mesh (of UV layout 1) to the 1000 poly mesh (with different UV layout of course - UV layout 2). The diffuse map was "re-baked" (is this the correct term?) succesfully. Now i want to "re-bake" all the other maps from the UV layout 1 (10 000 poly mesh) to the UV Layout 2 (1000 poly mesh). I have Displacement map (32 bit EXR) and Normals map (8bit TIF), but my question is in general and extends to "any" (almost) other map type (PBR or None-PBR map types) - Reflection, Bump, Normal, SSS map, Curvature map, AO map, Cavity map, Albedo, Metalness, etc. etc. 8, 16 or 32 bit regardless ).

My question is:

Can i rebake "all" these different map types in Xnormal as simply as loading them in as the "Base Texture" for the "High Definition Mesh"...? Without adjusting or setting anything else...? (cause it was as simple as this with the diffuse texture...)?

I know that when i bake normal map i have to "tick on" the "Base texture is a tangent space normal map", but "ANY" other map (even the 32 bit EXR Displacement) can be baked as easily and with the same exact workflow/settings/options as was the DIffuse map?

Thank you

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    In fact baking a normal map is one of the most complicated things. Baking simple grey scale shouldn't be an issue. Just try it out. imo it should work
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody else has any experience with this...? I thought its quite and easy question and only I a noob (in baking) dont know the answer..?

I already tried baking the normal map, with and without the “Base texture is a tangent space normal map” option ticked on/off. They look different so i believe with ticked on the normal map should be the same as the original one... (altough i didnt try rendering the model in 3ds max yet).

• Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, so i tried it but at least for the Normal map it didnt work... :-(... I tried it rendering in 3ds max side by side the 10 000 poly version (the "second original") but on the 1000 poly version with normal map rebaked from normal map of the "second original mesh" in Xnormal, there were visible "artifacts" or how to call it, the seams didnt match on some places... I tried both options in xnormal regarding baking normal maps, both off and on for the option "Base texture is a tangent space normal map", they produced differet looking normal (purplish) maps, but both didnt render really correctly and exactly like the original (they werent looking as the original render), there were visible seams on both :-(...

Any idea how to rebake these maps...? Its year 2020 i would thought that someone managed to "figure" this out and there has to be some tool or program or plugin/script that can rebake normal map from one UV layout to different UV layout... rebake just from normal map, i dont have the original few milion scan anymore... There has to be something...? Anyone any help/idea...?

Thanks
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you keep asking questions "in theory", you'll only get ansers "in theory". Adding to the fact that you state to be pretty new at this, the chances of you reaching a solution to your problem that way are pretty slim. Especially since there could be dozens of reasons why things are not working out.

It's up to you to be precise, uploading screenshots of your problem, sharing your source files, and so on. Sure enough someone will be able to help you out.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why didn't you keep the original scan? This is exactly why it's important to practice good archival hygiene, keep all your source files.

Anyhow, baking a normal map from another normal map is very difficult, as rollin stated already.

You may have better luck with the displacement, not sure if Xnormal allows you to assign that to the source model, you may need a different tool like Max or Maya.

All the other maps can be baked in diffuse.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    If you have or can convert tangent to world space normal maps this would be the go-to solution for re-baking normals
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    That is a good one rollin didn't think of that.
    The issue i see with this and what might've been said already is that the normals would still be wrong wouldn't it? (by angles) essentially changing the triangle face direction or am i not correct in my thinking so even IF you managed this achievement you would still need the Originals to get a correct normal bake.(whether or not you care to get "correct normals baked to new meshes", is another issue.)

You might get lucky though, stop opening the app you created the original scan in.  Locate that applications backup directory, look for autobackup files, in max in the past i got lucky and its autobackup.max files saved a project i mistakenly deleted or thought i didn't need anymore.  (think its maxback.bak, renamed it and boom file was sitting there.)  Not sure if its that one but its one of those.

You didn't state the applications you worked in so nobody is thinking if you have a autobacked up state file just sitting there to alleviate your issues.

Good luck, i kind of know how to do it and i think we all do but its just not going to be right and will probably be un-usable with out the original.
    (basically will show a bad practice.)  To be honest it also sounds like hey guys i ripped a character from something and i kind of want to either use it or sell it illegally, help me and for that reason i am out. (i am the one with the acorns enough to say it though)if you aren't one of those then you simply  ignore that part.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    FWIW if I am not mistaken Blender is perfectly capable of baking down a TS normalmap from a source model itself having a TS normalmap applied to it (and not just treating the source map as a texture, but as actual world normal information).

So between that, the Xnormal option, and the possiblility of converting the original to OS using either the Xnormal conversion tool, or Handplane, or Blender, there are many options available for the issue at hand without having to trace back to the original model. Even converting the TS to a displacement map ("Crazybump-style") could be enough depending on the accuracy needed.