Home Technical Talk

Game animation

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi there,

So, I want to edit some animation of a mmorpg which is in development(old game witch has been shut down more the 12 years ago) and some of them are boring and a lot of skills animations are the same. The thing is that on the client the only animation files are .kfm witch are not supported by Blender or Maya. I tried to use NifSkope to convert them but with no luck, the files can't be loaded. Is there any other way to convert them? On google I found that there is another tool that can open this type of files named "GameBryo" but is only for trial and I can't download it until I get their approval that might take a while.
Any suggestion are welcome.
Thank you

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Searching "convert kfm animation" one of the hits is Esemjay's KFM Converter | CivFanatics Forums plus there are other hits in the search results that are probably worth checking out.

Which game are you trying to mod? It's usually best to put that in your thread title, so people with experience modding it would be more likely to reply.
  • angeltat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thank you for response. 
    I've tryed that convertor but also with no luck, that convertor should do kfm to xml but from 10 diferent kmf's I've try, only 1 worked and actually did nothing, just didnt pop an error message.
    The game is name FHX Restoration should be found on first google search also the client can be downloaded if someone can try. Didnt want to advertise so i didnt put the link.
    Most of the hits from google search are about kmf files, nothing in particular except that GameBryo tool i talk earlyer.

Thank you! 
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    I've edited and created kfs/nif/kfms from that era. You might need to put in some effort to get a pipeline working as it was never eaxtly easy.

What I used to use was the old civtools for civ4 and max 8 for exporting animations (as it produced nearly working kfs compared to niftools ver at the time), then nifskope to piece back the anim back together and edit fields until it worked in engine.
    I am almost certain it's all possible to modify the anims or create new ones. What ver. kf/kfm/nifs you need to work with?
  • angeltat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest I don't know, but is it a way to find out? Last time most of the kfm's were modified was in December 2005( https://ibb.co/02ZcRY0 ) just before the game shut down. The company that has develop the game is closed or change his sector of activity so there is nobody witch I can ask for information.
    I will try to see if civ4 and max 8 can help me.
    If you have any other idea don't hesitate to say it.

Thank you!
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Do they not open in any ver of nifskope? (maybe you need an old ver or to hex edit the ver num of kfm or some annoying af thing)

The only reason to use the civ4 anim tools is if you are animating and exporting in max. It won't let you import anything. It's one way. That was nearly all superceded, in terms of exporting at least, with niftools plugins as they slowly made the exported nifs and kfs need less and less post export changes via nifskope to work.
  • angeltat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again, 

So here I stand, I tried all nifskope version, with no luck. In all versions I got an error when I try to open the kfm file, and also I don't get an explanation of what is the problem with the file. Anyway, I've tried and manage to get a version of blender where I can open .nif and gamebryo files but also with no luck( https://ibb.co/TYwcRDV ). Even that I got an error when I try to load the kfm to NifSkope i tried to saved the file as .nif and it work but after I imported in blender I got another error ( https://ibb.co/TYwcRDV ).
    So i'm stuck again. Do you still have any other ideea? Also, do you think you have a bit of time so you can try it yourself?

Thank you!
  • Eric Chadwick
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to suggest the NifTools forum, but apparently it's in migration right now. I'm not active with them anymore, but it should be easy enough for someone to update nifskope to load these .kfms.