Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Baking with intersecting Mesh.

Hello , i am kinda new to the whole 3d creation thing and unfortunately hit a roadblock on 3 different projects that I seem unable to cross. 
I am trying to bake a normal map from a high to a low poly object, hoping to bake some of the high poly details onto the low poly one but the mesh itself has some intersecting pieces so for once i get weird colored spots on the normal map and it also bakes the different sides of the mesh onto itself , changing the ray distance still shows the intersecting parts. using a cage kinda does the same on the spots where the cage intersects.

I would really like to learn about a way to get a clean normal map out of a situation like this.
Since i am not sure i explained it properly, here is a link to the example project i set up to reproduce it, i am using blender 2.83. 

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Karas said:

I would really like to learn about a way to get a clean normal map out of a situation like this.

fix the mesh so it doesn't intersect.

you shouldn't be able to see the error unless the camera goes inside the mesh so does it matter is another question.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Cage is not good? idk if blender works with cages, you can try to straighten out the piece (looks like a line so) keep it flat then use "animation" or some other object deforming technique to put it back into that position.
    Bit advanced but better to get into that earlier than later so your life in the end will be much easier in the future.  (do as you wish, hope it works out, i do not use blender, i tried but the u.i. i just can't.)