Home Royalties or Post-Launch Compensation Work

Need Epic Artists to Build an Awesome Japanese World

Heyo! I’m Sam, creative director of Sekishu no Koe and founder of SamHunny Developing. My team and I are seeking skilled teammates passionate in story-driven games and Japanese history/culture to fill multiple creative roles for our choice-based adventure game. This is a long-term, episodic project with revenue rates starting at 8%.

Hundreds of years ago, back in the ages of the sword and the supernatural, three heroes—a zen monk, a ronin warrior, and a samurai archer—uncover an ancient mystery, setting off on a journey that will challenge them physically, mentally, and spiritually. It’s up to fate whether they can succeed and overcome the greatest threat the land has ever known.

Sekishu no Koe is a choice-based adventure game set in medieval fantasy Japan. The world has full 3D environments & 2D characters in the style of Japanese sumi-e paintings.

Free Demo (Text Only) is available here: https://samhunny.itch.io/sekishu-no-koe

Requirements:

• Must be 18+ years old.

• Must have some experience with Unity 3D or Unreal Engine 4.

• Must have a Discord account.

• Must be available for a meeting once per week.

Bonus Points:

• Knowledge of Japanese history (especially the Kamakura era).

• Experience with the Unity Fungus Plugin.

ABOUT ME

Since 2018, I’ve been the lead designer and writer for Sekishu no Koe, utilizing my various proficiencies in art, graphic/digital design, programming, and 3D modeling, as well as my determination to learn new skills in sound design and community management to grow the project to the point that I need the help of others. 

My role as the creative lead is to support my team, individually and collectively, as we move towards a shared creative vision. My primary responsibility is to ensure Sekishu no Koe’s successful release by serving the needs of my team and our fans.

ROLES

—2D Character Artist—

The Character Artist will breathe life into the actor of Sekishu no Koe, giving the characters their distinct visual personality. By merging history with fantasy, you can re-interpret the medieval world of Japan in new ways. You will:

• Offer concept art and outfit designs for characters, NPCs, and monsters.

• Collaborate with the entire team on storyboards for scenes.

• Communicate with writers to reinforce the visual storytelling of the game.

• Create final rendered art of characters and monsters in various poses from multiple angles.

Animation experience is preferred but not required.

—3D Environment Artist—

As the Environment Artist, you control the world. Your sets are inspired by historic locations and decorated with accurate Japanese props in a way that conveys a natural existence, even if supernatural. You will:

• Design concept art of indoor/outdoor scenes to refer with the writers and Character Artist.

• Build concepts into 3D props, buildings, foliage, and terrain used to construct natural sets.

• Create monochromatic textures and normal/bump maps for textile surfaces.

• Collaborate with writers and sound designers to enhance the scene’s mood.

—Technical VFX Artist—

Since Sekishu no Koe has a unique visual style, it relies on the creativity and knowledge of the Technical Artist to propel the experience to a whole new level. While technically focused on asset implementation, you are also the final artistic polish that will give the world its heart.You will:

• Create custom ink-like Unity 3D shaders inspired by sumi-e (ink wash) paintings.

• Build custom light sources, particle emitters, and camera features to heighten the aesthetic of a scene.

• Collaborate with other artists on asset management and oversee rendering and game performance. 

—Japanese History and Culture Consultant—

The backbone of Sekishu no Koe is the era and culture in which it takes place, which is why we want to be careful when taking creative liberties. As someone knowledgeable in relevant Japanese history, you will:

• Assist artists in collecting accurate reference images and historical descriptions of Kamakura-era Japan.

• Proof-check designs, models, storyboards, and scripts for blatant cultural and historical inaccuracies.

• Collaborate with artists when taking creative liberties and provide constructive feedback.

—Project Consultant—

Having different perspectives is always helpful, so we welcome anyone of any area of expertise interested in the project to apply as a consultant.

• You must be available at least twice per month to volunteer skills, offer feedback, or answer questions.

• You are not barred from contributing to the game’s development if you so choose.

• You are not required to participate in regular meetings or events.

HOW TO APPLY

I hope I was able to show you a bit of what I see when I imagine the potential of working on this project together. Sekishu no Koe's journey will not be easy—but no great task is.

To apply, please email samhunnydev@gmail.com with the following items:

• Your name

• The role(s) for which you are applying

• A brief overview of your experience with the role(s)'s responsibilities

• Why you want to join the team and what you hope to gain from Sekishu no Koe

• Links to relevant portfolios or past work/accomplishments

• Cover letters are appreciated (but not required)

• Please specify your preferred engine (Unity 3D, Unreal Engine 4, or Both)

Want to know more about the project? Sekishu no Koe's progress reports are publicly available on our Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/SamHunny). You can also join our community Discord (https://discord.gg/vdTaW7w). For any other questions or concerns, feel free to comment or contact me directly.

Thanks so much,

~SamHunny