Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max public roadmap | Mudbox-like Brushes feature appear after the 2021.2 update

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Orphydian polycounter lvl 8
3ds Max Public Roadmap | Autodesk
It seems Autodesk is up on something  because on 3ds Max Updated Public roadmap at the Artist Experiences there is a new item called Brush tools. There is a brush tools panel that seems identical with Mudbox one. The details of this Future feature  are not very enlightening: Consolidate and improve brush tools inside 3ds Max. The brush tools in 3ds Max are inconsistent. Man pls better not be just a port of the Mudbox core like in Maya without all the power features of Mudbox !

Brush Tools Roadmap future previewpng

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Interesting. Multi-level subdivision sculpting has never been possible in Max afaik, so I wonder if that's what they mean by 'improve' the brushes? Either way, Max is way behind the times when it comes to brush tools, and I think Blenders robust sculpting toolset has really shown this.

While they're at it, hopefully they'll also fix the painting brushes too so that pixel art textures can be made with them (atm the brush becomes completely unreliable if below a certain size and their's no pencil tool). They made 'Max indie', but still seem to think pixel art is unimportant...
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Phew, not even sure this is the most promising path for the dev team.. that certain 'clunkiness' to Max's viewport and UI and brush system make it seem like it'd be hard to bring up to par for a good sculpting experience, really. I'd much prefer better booleans/dynamesh or further focus on poly modeling, for instance.
  • Orphydian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orphydian polycounter lvl 8
    did you check the roadmap lately ?  All those are on the roadmap on beta or  for future plus many others. This brush stuff is rather recent
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yup, which is why I hope they get done fast ;)