Home Unity

Unity normal map issue

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi!

Any ideas why my normal map appears pixelated in Unity?

The texture import settings are default. I tried both 4K and 8K resolutions.

These are the model import settings. I tried tweaking normals and tangents settings but it didn't help.

Also i tried switching between different shaders in Unity but it didn't work either.

I used Substance Painter for texturing and 3ds Max for modeling.

These are my export settings from 3ds Max.

The result in Painter looks OK. I tried different export settings but again it didn't help.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Are you using 8bit or 16bit normal maps? 
    I guess it's the compression. For most use cases it's not noticable for ingame viewing conditions. But if it's some hero asset you might want to use higher resolution and/or higher bitrate and/or less compressed normal maps.
  • AnnaLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried both 8 bit and 16 bit but it didn't make any difference. And the asset is meant to be very close to the player that's why I'm worried those artifacts can be too noticеable. Anyways thank you your suggestion.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    And compression doesn't make any difference too?
  • AnnaLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Switching the compression off does make a huge difference but the size of the texture goes too high. I added some extra loops to my low poly mesh, rebaked the normal map, exported it with dithering enabled and applied hight quality compression in Unity.  The result is still not perfect but I think I can live with it.