Home Technical Talk

ZBrush CPU performance, Is Higher single core frequency or more cores, more important?

B-Cinos
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
B-Cinos polycounter lvl 8

Hi

I have a question regarding CPU choices and ZBrush Performance. on the ZBrush website it states “A fast processor with multiple cores is a key item because ZBrush is only CPU based” but whether a CPU’s fast or good is somewhat dependent as certain programs or tasks benefit from different aspects on a CPU.

So, my question: Is Higher Frequency/ Better single core performance more important for working in ZBrush, or are more cores and threads more valuable to have over higher speeds? And are there tasks in ZBrush favour one or the other?

Like when your Sculpting in the viewport, zoomed in or working with high subdivision SubTool/ SubTool’s, does that benefit from Higher single core speed or spreading the load across multiple cores. But not just that. Are brushes in use benefitted by higher speed cores or more cores? What does Fibremesh or the new cloth simulation benefit from more? How about Dynamesh and Zremesher?

It’s my understanding with other 3D programs like 3Ds Max and Maya, that for active work in the viewport and most every task outside of rendering, high single core speed is more important than having more cores (which is more important for CPU rendering). But I don’t know whether that’s the case for ZBrush too as it looks and works a fair bit different to those 3D apps.

Thanks for any Feedback and answers.