Home Technical Talk

Zbrush, how to hide existing detail when applying new brush strokes

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
kaigonathus polycounter lvl 3

Im not sure how to put this in words, but lets try. In Zbrush, is there a way to kinda automatically hide the existing detail when applying alpha texture with displace brush, similar to the third image. The second image is what it looks like without any settings tweaking and the third is to demonstrate the wanted outcome.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I was wondering too decade ago.  There was no way .   Don't think anything changed.  Not sure although.  I use Zbrush less and less every next year
    Haven't even undated it   since last year .

3d coat has this in  layers blending.   Max blending.      
  • kaigonathus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well isn't that nice, gotta do it the hard way then. Thanks for letting me know !
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Tip:
    Erases details, does not hide them,
    (you would have to figure that out and report back with a working solution.)
    Yea make a layer/s on the object/s you want to remove/add details from, add morph target, add your details go back to the morph brush and erase the area you do not want that layer to have the details on.
    I do not know as gnoop, if things have changed but that should work.  Keep the history till you are 1000% sure you are satisfied with the results.
    You would then make a new layer to make new details as your title states, add a morph there till you 1000% are satisfied with the details bake down.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm not the best at tweaking brushes in zbrush, so these results aren't exactly as good as I'd like, but, the clay and deco brushes essentially do what you're wanting out of the box. They build up "through" high frequency details, which erases them where the brush stroke is intense enough.

Like I said, I'm no brush pro, so maybe someone can come along as find the best settings to do what you want, but I think your best bet is the clay and deco brushes, and tweaking them.

• kaigonathus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deco brush actually works pretty nicely in my case! Not ideal but a lot better than erasing and trying to do something with that. 
    Layers and morph target would probably be the way to go, but in the project im currently working on I missed that chance a long time ago, tho I have to keep that in mind. It might work if I stored the morph target, then polished the whole thing and switched the morph, similarly to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2IDMQ_c7HE&t=209s&ab_channel=PixologicZBrush and then just kinda erase the details. Well gotta test that out