Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Normals Problem

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi Guys,

Could anyone help me with this normal problem. I am not sure what am I doing wrong. I modeled this guy in Maya and then finished retouch in Zbrush. I did the UV in ZBrush. Why am I getting the border lines of the UV to show up on the Normal map? I am using Maya/Arnold. I have tried all the options available in the ZBrush Normal section but none of the options helped and if I use the "Tangent" option I get lines all over the model. I am very frustrated right now I don't know what else to try. Thank you very much for your help.

Replies

• petersmith98
    I'm sure you're doing the right thing.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid greentooth
    I'm not sure if you found the specific solution to this, but if the UVs are essentially showing up in your bake then I'd recommend checking your UVs. It's an older tendency when bouncing between programs for every face to become unwelded (or worse, unwelded and individually inverted). 

In addition to checking your UVs in Maya, I'd recommend baking your normal maps outside of zbrush. Use Maya, or xnormal, or substance, or just about anything else that will give you actual control over the bake settings and mesh properties (vertex normals/smoothing groups, etc).