Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Generate rig creates bugged controllers

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node

I'm having a really weird problem. I added a metarig to the scene, edited the pose to fit my character, apply it as the rest pose, applied loc/rot/scale, and Generated Rig. The problem is that on the rig that it generates there is a "bugged" controller in the image below.

On the left side is the controller in rest mode, centered and forward where it should be. On the right side is the controller in pose mode where it slightly rotates on the Z axis, despite it being locked. This happens with a couple other bones as well.

I thought the solution would just be to alt+R and G to reset rotation and movement but for some reason these controllers will not reset to the rest mode. And I don't know of any other way to apply the pose mode position to these. Even when I go to the skeleton layer that controls the problem controller I can't fix it because you can't move the actual bone in pose mode and it goes to the rest pose in edit mode. Does anyone know why this happens and/or how to resolve it?

Replies

• Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Hard to tell without testing it personally. If u could provide the file would be great.
    So, is the mesh weight painted already and it does not move with the controller as well?
    Have u checked for gimbal lock? ideally u would put the rotation mode on gimbal when animating it tells the correct locked axis.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    Yerus said:
    Hard to tell without testing it personally. If u could provide the file would be great.
    So, is the mesh weight painted already and it does not move with the controller as well?
    Have u checked for gimbal lock? ideally u would put the rotation mode on gimbal when animating it tells the correct locked axis.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jk5RvFQrdlHRr4Pruz8Sk9br0QX3_IYm/view?usp=sharing
    That is the file with only the rig. You can still see how the rig adjusts itself when you switch from the rest position to pose position in pose mode. I tried both gimbal and quats. but neither fixed the problem.
  • Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Well, my 'alt+R' is working, and I don't see any edit/pose mode mismatch...
    The axis where  it is rotated is the y axis not the z - as indicated by the gimbal trasform orientation - and the y is not locked.
    Do you get any error messages?

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    99499 said:

I added a metarig to the scene, edited the pose to fit my character

Do your thigh and shin bones have a slight bend forward? This is how you tell Blender in what direction you want the IK chain to bend. 
    If the IK chain changes slightly between the Edit and Pose modes, it's probably because the IK goal bone isn't properly aligned to the imaginary line between the first and last bones in the chain (their heads, not their tips). You would fix this by changing the Pole angle in the modifier settings, or by correcting the IK goal location in Edit mode: https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/19755