Home Technical Talk

Zbrush / Maya question about decimation.

Toby3D
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
Hi! 

Currently experimenting with a few different things and one of the them is decimation master. Is it correct to do base mesh(maya) > high poly(zbrush) > duplicate > decimate > export to maya for re-topology with quad draw and then use that mesh as your low poly? Or am I missing something? 

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    That's one way to do it. If you're comfortable using dynamesh and zremesher in zbrush, you can skip the maya base mesh stage if you like. Be prepared to get into how Zbrush deals with scale if you go that route though. You'll want to get familiar with the scale master plugin in Zbrush if you're starting your models in it.
  • Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    That's one way to do it. If you're comfortable using dynamesh and zremesher in zbrush, you can skip the maya base mesh stage if you like. Be prepared to get into how Zbrush deals with scale if you go that route though. You'll want to get familiar with the scale master plugin in Zbrush if you're starting your models in it.
    Thanks.
    If I understood it correctly, Zbrush isn't as easy to work with when it comes to hard-surface? Which is why I start out in Maya, and then bring it into Zbrush to do fine details. I might be wrong though. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Both are viable routes. Maya is probably easier for a beginner since you are working in a more direct way with the components of 3d. But people who git gud with zbrush can do some amazing stuff very quickly so its worth playing with both workflows when you got time.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Your approach will vary depending on what you're trying to make. Do you have any images or reference to show us of what you're working on?

• Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    Your approach will vary depending on what you're trying to make. Do you have any images or reference to show us of what you're working on?

Currently working on a simple shield.  
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    All of these images are pretty organic - even the shields. Totally do-able in Zbrush. You could make a quick and dirty base in Maya if you like, using booleans or whatever to get the shapes quickly. You'd then bring it into Zbrush and use dynamesh with a high setting followed by zremeshing and projecting to get your clean mesh for sculpting on.

Generally speaking : clean hard surface stuff is easier to do in a standard 3d package - Maya, Blender etc. Organic, natural models are easier to start in a sculpting package.
  • Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    All of these images are pretty organic - even the shields. Totally do-able in Zbrush. You could make a quick and dirty base in Maya if you like, using booleans or whatever to get the shapes quickly. You'd then bring it into Zbrush and use dynamesh with a high setting followed by zremeshing and projecting to get your clean mesh for sculpting on.

Generally speaking : clean hard surface stuff is easier to do in a standard 3d package - Maya, Blender etc. Organic, natural models are easier to start in a sculpting package.
    After I'm done with my current project, I'm gonna try a similar one, but with more focus on Zbrush to see how it feels. Thanks for the help :)