Home Marmoset

Marmoset Lighting question!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
F3NR1R polycounter lvl 2
I'm trying to get better at lighting setups, so I can have some kind of methodology instead of just going with the feels. However, the results I'm getting raise some questions. So could someone please tell my why does it go bonkers when I copy the light how it is in a tutorial?
In this case I only get adequate result after toning down the width and brightness, I just want to understand why does it happen
(This model is real life scale, so no issue there)

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    My first thought is that the radius (width) of the light is actually intersecting with the face of your model. When you have a light selected, you can see the visualization of how big the source is.
  • F3NR1R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F3NR1R polycounter lvl 2
    @Joopson Ah! the transparent grey sphere. That could be it!

But that gotta mean the model in a tutorial is either super large scale or the lights are very distant to not intersect like that, Hmm, I'll try it out rn.
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    By the way - first step with lighting on marmoset, make sure your subject matches the human scale on the program, otherwise you will have issues off the bat.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    gvii said:
    By the way - first step with lighting on marmoset, make sure your subject matches the human scale on the program, otherwise you will have issues off the bat.
    Can this be solved with scaling the model up/down in Toolbag? Or is it best to scale it in the original modeling package(Maya, Blender, Max etc) then then bringing it back into Toolbag?
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Go to scene and check scale reference so you see what you are aiming for. The grab your parent geometry (Or make one) and go to edit -> scale mode and grab the manipulator from the middle. That should work.
  • F3NR1R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F3NR1R polycounter lvl 2
    @gvii
    Yeah, see my last sentence on the original post. That's why the tutorial I'm trying to follow bamboozles me so hard. There's no way a 17Width light would look so tiny next to a human scale model.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, this is probably a scale unit issue. Toolbag has two scale settings, one that sets the units in the app, and one that defines what the units mean from the file you're importing.

By default, both of these are set to meters. So 17 would = a light 17 meters wide. If the author of the tutorial set his Scene Units to CM, that would be 17 CM. So the exact value may not be relevant to how you have your scene set up. Generally, you should adjust the Width setting so that it suits your scene/goals/etc.

The Imported Unit setting is important to. This should be set to match the units you're working with in your 3D app. So if your default unit in your 3D app is CM, set this to CM. This way if your character is 180 units tall, it will load as 180 cm, rather than 180 m.

Imported Units are important for things like the SSS shader as well. If your scale is set up correctly (showing the scale reference is a good idea), a value of about 1mm is usually realistic for Scatter Depth, it looks like you've currently got it set to 20mm.

As mentioned about you can manually scale your mesh by going into scale mode or typing in transforms for your base file reference object, or you can adjust the settings in the Scene object. I would recommend doing it in Scene, then it's handled for any objects that you import, rather than having to manually adjust the scale for multiple mesh files if you have them.

• F3NR1R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F3NR1R polycounter lvl 2
    @EarthQuake
    Thanks you for this thorough reply, while I was aware about half of the things you mentioned another half is going to be tremendously useful. I had no idea about uniform scale in a Scene tab. This will make my life much easier, sometimes it was such a pain going between Maya, Zbrush's scale master, MT, (fbx files also like to suffer from gigantism). And in the end making sure everything is human scale in Marmoset!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F3NR1R said:
    @EarthQuake
    Thanks you for this thorough reply, while I was aware about half of the things you mentioned another half is going to be tremendously useful. I had no idea about uniform scale in a Scene tab. This will make my life much easier, sometimes it was such a pain going between Maya, Zbrush's scale master, MT, (fbx files also like to suffer from gigantism). And in the end making sure everything is human scale in Marmoset!
    Cool, glad to hear it. Another way to manage scale if you have some objects that need to be scaled but not others (scale differences coming from different apps, for example), is to place the objects you want to scale in a group and then scale the group, so you have a single object to modify rather than many.