Home Career & Education

Getting into 3d(env artist)

Toby3D
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Toby3D polycounter lvl 6

Hi all!

I'm currently on a path to becoming a 3d environment artist. There is so much to learn, and  I'm one of those that like to break something down into smaller parts, focus on one part until I get it, and then go on. My problem is, I'm not really sure how to break this down, and was wondering if anyone else struggled with this, and could perhaps point me in a direction?

I feel like I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with all the software, workflows and technical aspects, even though I absolutely love it.

Some of the things that I really struggle with at the moment is topology, UVs, texturing(PBR) and how to get a good bake.

Thanks!

Replies

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    That's completely understandable, it's a lot! Here a few pointers to help you out.

1. First of all it's hard to go step by step. A lot of the things you are about to learn bleed into each other. So just be aware of that.
    2. If you want to be an environment artist, the best way to get good at it is to ... (you guessed it!) ... make environments. 
      Start small. Make a small environment and then break down each part of the environment in it's own task. That's how you can create your own "Step-By-Step-System". In every environment scene, each element can be it's own task where you can improve on.
      Textures, making small props/assets (there you have baking, modelling, texturing), blockout of the environment, lighting, decals etc etc
    3. Try not to overthink it too much. That was my mistake if looking back. I spent more time sometimes wondering about the correct steps instead of just jumping in and doing the work. Let me explain. If you just jump in and make small (!), approachable environments (an office corner for example), you will get used to the workflows and you will start developing an understanding of what needs to be done next. Every task you approach therefore will be it's own thing you can dive deeper and learn more. 
    4. And always learn new things. Get an understanding of the fundamentals of environment art building (those you learn while doing it and learning on the go) and then branch out from there.
    As I mentioned, there is not really a step by step way precisely. Everyone learns a bit different. Try to break down your environments in very simple tasks. You can read 80.lv or ExperiencePoints articles, they feature a lot of artists who break down their approach. Then just copy and emulate what they do.

Hope this helps!
  • Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    I'm pretty sure I overthink a lot of stuff, and I always seem to choose a project that's probably a bit too high level for me right now, and then when I can't finish that one, I kinda get a bit depressed for a while, and then I'm back at square 1.

Thanks for the pointers, I will definitely keep these in mind while working on my next project(going to keep it simple and small).  
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you getting upset its because you got wrong priorities.

Goal is first to learn, not to make amazing or technically competent 3d art. That comes in time so you really dont even need to worry about that. Just make a high volume of work. Every time you fuck something up that is a big step forward, assuming you don't have short term memory loss and you do take time to learn how you made the mistake. If you do got terrible memeory just write shit down. Can't fail that way.

Plan for a time when you will measure you progress. Say, a year from now you'll do a culmination exercise to test everything you've learned. In between now and then, don't measure your progress. Just make tons of art. It's for fun. When you hit a technical snag, take your time to learn how the systems involved work at fundamental level. Don't worry, none of it is as complicated as it seems at first. Be patient, you are not running a 5k, you are building a great castle.

Lastly, if you are wallowing in a mire of self pity, talk to other people. That will get you back on track quicker than anything else.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    *Rinse and Repeat* 

...fundementally, there is no other substitute!
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Look at a couple 80lvl articles like this one https://80.lv/articles/001agt-004adk-3d-environment-design-symbols-breakdown/
    Maybe this will give you a sens of direction. Personally I would say start with creating a decent prop before going for a full environment.

• Toby3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toby3D polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the tips, been going through a few of these articles and been seeing a pattern.