Home Technical Talk

system specs for substance painter (help me upgrade)

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
hello,
i would like your advices...
ok, so lets put it like this..........what to upgrade so i can run nicely substance painter on this machine?
is it adding more ram?
or graphic card?

here is screenshot:

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Painter does require a lot of GPU power to be comfortable. I can't say how it reacts with low sys ram or older architecture cpus though. A 1660 will be pretty decent for most uses, assuming it's not completely bottlenecked by other hardware.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You need a better video card, that is by far the largest issue with your PCs specs.
    Adding an extra 8gb of ram (for a total of 16gb) would also be a good idea (though not as important as the video card).
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i want to add 24GB RAM DDR3 and GeForce GTX
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    i want to add 24GB RAM DDR3 and GeForce GTX
    This would be a really bad decision. Videocard matters the most in these kind of applications. Dont take me wrong but your entire system is very outdated and putting a lot of extra ram won't help. The best would be to get rid of it and get an overall better system with a more modern cpu, ddr4 memory and a decent graphics card. If you can't afford that, just add a more recent videocard, but you will be likely bottlenecked by the other parts of the system. That ram is very slow and the cpu is from 2013.

Here are some videocard recommendations, but as a side node, the better your videocard is, the better for you.

Low budget/entry level - gtx1660 
    Slightly better - rtx2060 super
    Will surely hold for longer but starts to be expensive - rtx2070 super
    High end - rtx 2080 super or ti

As the rtx 30 series will come out in a few days, the price of the 20s is expected to go down somewhat very soon. Maybe its the time to wait a few months nd see what happens to their prices. If you are on low budget, also consider getting a used videocard. They are usually 2/3 the price of the new ones, or even less. This makes  used 2070s and similar cards affordable. But again, such a videocard would be bottlenecked by the other parts of your current setup.
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok,thanx for advice

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The best would be to get rid of it and get an overall better system with a more modern cpu"
    i was thinking also about this. Of course im aiming on better  financial option that's why im in doubt and posted this kind of topic
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    "The best would be to get rid of it and get an overall better system with a more modern cpu"
    i was thinking also about this. Of course im aiming on better  financial option that's why im in doubt and posted this kind of topic
    Hi,

Its not a good decision to invest money in this system of yours.
    its still uses a motherboard compatible only with DDR3.

Substance painter uses a lot of GPU power and GPU memory, but also, as your materials gets complex, CPU will also be a factor.

So my advice is to upgrade to a new modern computer.
    Any money spent on your system will not worth it.

But, if you don't have enough to buy a new complete system, get your RAM to at least 16GB, and a GPU like a 1060 or newer.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter

Its not a good decision to invest money in this system of yours.
    its still uses a motherboard compatible only with DDR3.
    Well. That it what I was trying to point at in the beginning of my post.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Also if you hadn't already, have a look on the PC upgrade thread, there's a couple of recent config part lists, that'll probably at the very least serve as a useful guide when shopping around on a budget.