Home General Discussion

What do you do in your spare time

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
Well, I  have started playing table tennis again after a 30 year break. It's fun and keeps me fit. Do not intend to play competitively again, but my daughter enjoys playing too so it mainly for her benefit. i don't mind being the fat old man in the corner :)
I am stil pretty good tbh though.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I pretty much just work all day right now. Wife going to school so its only what I earn at the moment. No time for fun. Just walk dogs in evening.

More money coming next year though. I want to get back into climbing. I used to live and breath climbing. I've done a lot of different hobbies but IMO climbing is the best all around. Doesnt take much money. Big adventure, can take you all over world, meet the best people, healthy, etc.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Self education related to things that interests me. No family so I have quite a lot of time.Those related things comes down to learn math and programming which I wish I focused on more in school but its never late I guess. I also like tech so I spend a lot of time tinkering with computer stuff and exploring new fields of what it can provide us. When it starts to be overwhelming, I play some games or go out with buddies.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I love to cook in my downtime. It feels good to do something creative and practical with absolutely no involvement from a computer or live service :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Well, as age goes I'm certainly in the *dotage* ballpark and been really stacking on the weight since March...

In the main though outside of art, do sweet bugger all so perhaps for exercise may take up cycling again. Regularly rode as a weekender 'MAMIL' (middle aged man in lycra - sorry for sharing that btw O_o ) back a few years however this time around might go electric too help with getting over those lumpy bits while still looking good :p
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Besides playing video games, my main 2 other hobbies are fitness/gym and deep diving into personal finance/investing and stuff like the FIRE community. I might actually make a second youtube channel focused around that kinda stuff if there is enough interest at some point. 
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Like pixel, just gym stuff atm at home and at the supermarket, i put two carts to my sides and do dips (works stabilizer muscles to keep carts at same distance)(try it, can get a good few sets in while out and about, 10/12 reps, 3-5 sets) athletic build not bulky build.
    Been running weekly about 2 miles sometimes 4 miles - depends on weather how i feel, i try to do it none stop as a challenge.  (messing around with foot placement at the same time and rates of speed.) Perfect running time is when the rain is just about to stop but keep going for like 30 minutes, run in the rain oh my gawd it was beautiful, breathing and coolness while heating up, perfect, but very rare, was able to do more in that weather.
    Been messing around with ambidexterity more. 
    Learning new things like the others as well, so playing round with environment stuff / want to get into shader coding but not into coding, i rather buddy up with someone and we get something going rather than me trying to learn yet another thing someone else is really proficient at. 
    Also been about a decade of learning about nutrition and how much it plays a huge part in your life, got to care about what you put in when you learn it causes issues you rather not have.
    That rock climbing mention seems interesting to me the only issue is the possibility of dieing that would keep me from that lol otherwise seems like a great workout, used to love swimming (in pools) when learned about the chemicals and well it pretty much ruined that experience immediately for me. 
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I watch anime, netflix series, films, i play some games... but i mostly paint/draw in my cintiq 16. And when i'm not doing those things, i'm growing crops and breeding chickens.

I do not include the gym because that's like work haha.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I love learning things, though those things change all the time. Be it a new soft ware, learning programming, a new language, a music instrument, etc. And sometimes some more ambitious personal projects. It gives me a sense of purpose when the day job starts feeling dull.

Every once in a while I also exercise a bit, or go boulder climbing, cycling, kayaking or similar. But unfortunately not too often :D

And of course, I spend a great deal of time playing video games and watching netflix
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I have two kids and a house i have no sparetime.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @DavidCruz - there is an outdoor gym at my local park with a 'dip' machine or frame, but its so tall you cannot even get on to it and I am 6ft tall :)
    never been to the gym, mainly play sports, table tennis, badminton , snooker etc
    did lose a bunch of weight last year but the lockdown got me back to 'chonkus' status

nice chicks Blaizer :)
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    O / T:
    @Ruz
    Nice to hear progress was made its the best reward.
    Yea i am shorter than you so the carts at the super market work perfect for me, was looking around for a place to do them somewhere at the house and ended up doing them there.  Yea i don't go to the gym anymore only did 6 months, Folks said lets go check out the ymca and i was 'chonkus' and said okay this is probably the only time i can get to put words into action and its been 3 years since and kept it all off at home. 
    I find just avoiding soy/sugar and you are fine, i do a lot of "tests", with food and those are pretty bad, no wonder its in everything, makes you think a bit more about what's really going on.

Its crazy how the bad bacteria really controls you, fights you to get more of the bad back in so it can survive, much like us, its a bit trippy especially when you try to help people get off bad habits, it manifests itself through them and they get edgy with you in its defense.  I would've never thought that was possible until i went on this adventure.  Used to stuff my face with brownies,dorito's,soda,pizza,fried everything,honeybuns,chefboi'r'd's, the whole nine yards, as well as any and every liquors i could get my hands on.
    Total 180 now, feels real good to break away from the poisons but there are still so many around us everyday its no wonder people are angry, they are starving but don't know it.

Yea blaizer, that's awesome i wish i had a farm after learning what i do now, with them fumigating the sky, who knows what's good anymore.  Tbh, farm is a lot of work, we should have never left that process, its self sustaining and seems like the way we should be, not with all this tech shit poisoning us without our knowledge. (not specifically at you Blaizer)
    I mean you can't see wi-fi it doesn't mean its not infecting your cells, maybe look into that if you think otherwise.
    You wouldn't walk into a human sized microwave would you..as a hint and like trump says and has proven by now right? fake news/media/information is actually a thing.  I keep looking at all the stuff around the house and all i see is made in china, seems they have a vested interest here.
    ^Health topics, based around cooking and fitness, so still O/T.

Lucky you ogul i am sure you appreciate all of it, some of us have the opposite.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    @Blaizer You breed chickens?! That's cool man.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    I go to the gym, walk or play with the dog, watch some movies, play videogames from time to time and read if I'm feeling like it. It's a boring routine honestly, I just want to find a presential job to have an excuse to get out of this city and see something new in my life, but the virus is not making things any easier.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @DavidCruz i have a small orchard with fruit trees, the common thing here where i live. And yep, it's a lot of work, but it has its reward. I wish i had a bigger piece of land. I have lemons for all the year, and nuts for the winter.

@Ashervisalis It's weird for a 3d guy haha. 

I started with sparrows and canaries as pets, later little quails, and for my disaster, a neighboor gifted me a couple of small chicks. Right now I have more than 80, and i can't control them at all, they are worse than rats. I was away a week, and i didn't notice there was a chicken with eggs into a flower pot. The sound of the small chicks was a huge surprise.

They are very cute when they are small, but when the grow, roosters are a huge problem. I was gifted a few more chicks, and they ended being fighting cocks. The good is that i can sell or exchange them. 

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That's a lot of cocks hahaha

That's crazy. You must have a decent sized yard. I want a chicken or two, but can't imagine having 80. Do you make a lot through egg sales?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @Blaizer
    I think you only need one cock to rule the roost  B)
    ....and those little chicks are the cutest.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @Ashervisalis Yep, chickens have a good place, just for them.
    These small chickens don't lay too many eggs, but i have enough for the whole family and close friends. 2 eggs = 1 egg from a normal chicken. I would need more hens laying more eggs, i'm only recovering some spenses, selling roosters and chickens. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMgIpDNX9A

@sacboi hahaha Lord of the Rings. There's a hierarchy among roosters and huge sense of frienship (class groups). in each chicken run there is a "Romeo" and his "henchmen".

They are like dogs, very loyal. 

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Blaizer said:
    @DavidCruz i have a small orchard with fruit trees, I wish i had a bigger piece of land. I have lemons for all the year, and nuts for the winter.
    You let the chicken/roosters forage?(better nutrition if they can find anything, worms+) or feed them corn+, from the vid it looks like they forage.  Since i can't do it and you can, i would've made a system that is self sustaining, idk if you did, as an example, put an ANT / Worm farm Under the chicken coop, their is their food, idk what ants/worms eat so figure that one out and adjust till the system works on its own.
    :) good luck with it.
    Do you think or know if its best to keep the solid color ones compared to the mixed ones or do you think that does not matter?
    Afaik, you got a solid black/brown/white set in the picture with them all in the coop.

Nice 80 but if you start thinking survival it goes down a bit quick, 80 seems great for 1 person with the eggs and other stuff you got a few good meals there, idk if you eat them or just sell them.  If you are a Veg. or Carno.  They are starting to close down farms so we eat their manufactured slop, then no more money or choice (that is what they think)(they stand to make over trillions of dollars on forces vac which is why they say this V exists.) to get chemicals in us... You are in a great position so congrats, very interesting hobby its nearly taken over the thread. :+1:
  • valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    I bodybuilding naturally and only train enough  and hard enough to maintain what I have, which is great because I can focus on other things like watching movies in my free time