Home Unity

VR (Oculus rift) environment workflow help.

pr1970
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
pr1970 polycounter lvl 7

Hey all

So I need do make some small internal realistic environments for the oculus quest (untethered) in Unity and just considering options for creating the environments. Looking for it being effient as possible so draw calls down to the minimum.

The idea is that i`d make an office enviornment and bring in assets into the scene ie chairs, tables,etc. Then go around each object assign mat id. create one large texture atlas uv for the entire environment, and then take it into substance painter add all the materials, and then bake out 4k albedo, roughness , metallic, ao,etc
Then combine all objects, export as fbx and take that into unity and bake lighting as a static object.

Does this sound like a good workflow? or is there another way i can do it?

Thanks in advance,

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    it depends on the size of your scene if you take that approach.
    if it's a relatively small area and the tri count is low enough then that would be fine, but otherwise you'll be rendering a lot of stuff that isnt in view since it'l all be one piece.

I'd recommend everything up to the part of combining the meshes. If you have a bunch of separate pieces sharing the same material you get a number of advantages:
    • Frustum culling (automatic) & occlusion culling (bake required)
    • Static batching 
    • Dynamic Batching (if under the tri limit)
    • Instanced rendering (if your shader has this enabled, note its either static/dynamic batching or instanced rendering, you can only have one)
    • Easier manipulation of your modules in engine (i.e being able to move individual assets around instead of adjusting in your 3d package, re-exporting and re-assigning any required components like collision and scripts)
    • More accurate reflections. If all your geo is one piece, then every reflection probe in the scene will be blended into one and applied to the renderer component (you can anchor it, but at best it'l only be accurate within a single volume)

Draw calls, tri count and render passes are your greatest enemies when it comes to the quest so take care to keep all of these as low as possible. Also get comfortable with the gpu profiler to make sure that you're actually getting the savings you should be getting as the quest's tile renderer loves to break batching.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific quest issues, i've been dealing with that thing in one form or another for about 3 years now so i've just about figured everything that can go wrong :)
  • pr1970
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1970 polycounter lvl 7
    hey Mike, Thanks alot for the all the info, really helpful.

I`ll PM you if thats ok as i have quite a few questions.