Home Career & Education

[3D] What would you call this style and how would you replicate it?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6

I really loved this style and I have the mesh and textures on file.

It's a low poly mesh with a hand painted diffuse texture and a baked high poly normal map.

I love the stylised sculpted edges and was wondering how that's done? Was this sculpted and then retopo'd to low poly?

Would it be possible to make the low poly and then sculpt over the top of it for the bake? I tend to low to high poly. 

I also try to keep everything done in blender 2.83 for the sake of keeping cost low.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Most likely sculpted, and the retopo'd as you said.

You could do the low to high, yes.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    that doesnt look very hand painted to me. it looks like a highpoly was sculpted, a lowpoly was made, some maps baked and then the texture pretty much generated from those bakes using ID masks.

yes its absolutely possible to make the lowpoly first, at this detal level i prefer it this way around as you can adhere to the limitiations better -imho.
    if you do not need per pixel shading on the asset ingame, you could also just paint this based on some lowpoly bakes. but i think here it is based on a highpoly baked down and then processed, could be done in photoshop or even automatically in substance painter/designer based on some ID masks.