Home Career & Education

Any Tips On Picking 2d Concept Art For 3d Modeling Portfolio? Are Original Concepts Preferred?

Hi, 

As someone wanting to make 3d character art a career & in the process of creating a portfolio, I'm seeking help on how one would go about picking a 2d concept to model off of. 

Having looked at Artstation's 2d section, there are certain concepts that have a loose style. Should one deliberately pick those to show off how one has interpreted the piece? Or avoid those as they can be confusing to model off of & thus potentially result in a poor piece?

Should the concepts picked be of only one style (say, cartoony or realistic) or a mix?

Some concepts have both the front & back illustrated. Others don't. What should be preferred?

How closely should one stick to the concept? Is it okay to change things such as proportions (albeit slightly), or add or remove, say, accessories?

Finally, should one even contemplate having at least some original concepts that have been thought up completely from scratch? Having read some forum posts in the past, there doesn't seem to be a consensus?

Also, I'm from India. I assume a lot of the 3d projects here are ones that have been outsourced from elsewhere. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for taking the time! Cheers!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'd pick concepts that :
    1) are popular - piggy back off success of others this way.

2) you feel confident you can represent in 3d accurately - avoid showing off your weaknesses this way

3) are something you think is really interesting - will work harder if it's something you care about

As an example, if the concept only shows character from one angle and you don't feel like you can satisfactorily fill in the unseen portions, don't use that concept.
  • DebendraRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Will keep these things in mind.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    ArtStation has a "Collections" part, where you can save art to different collections folders you've made. Throw on a 2D filter and every few days just check out 2D concepts, and when you run into stuff you like, save it to a collection folder. Then, when you're looking to make your next project, you've got a lot to choose from.

Regarding style, if you want to score a job with a specific studio, look for concepts with that style. You don't need to copy the concept 100%, but try to get somewhat close, as sometimes artists pass off mistakes or poor modeling as 'creative liberties'. If the concept doesn't have a back view, get creative!
  • DebendraRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

I was bookmarking pages in my browser from Artstation. Didn't realize there's a function in Artstation that does the job better! Will heed your advice.

@Alex_J @Ashervisalis Any thoughts on this part?

Finally, should one even contemplate having at least some original concepts that have been thought up completely from scratch? Having read some forum posts in the past, there doesn't seem to be a consensus?
    What if the concepts that I'm thinking of are more akin to illustrations that tell a story rather than a specific character concept that dedicated concept artists usually create?

Tbh, as I'm typing this, I just realized that my "illustrations" will need to be realized in 3d first, before anyone else can comment on whether they should be part of a portfolio.

So I should probably leave things as is, for now. & get back after posting some work.

Of course, still open to any further advice from folks on the OP. Again, thanks for taking the time. Good day!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You've got to know what your goal is. The more narrow you can define that, the quicker you can get to it.

The shortest path is cater your portfolio for a specific studio(s). Find the artist there, ask them questions, be as targeted as possible. Maybe if you can't get in touch directly you can find concepts from that studios last published game and do your model from that. Maybe there is some concept art that didn't make it into the final production.

Making your own designs is obviously what probably many artist really want to do, but this doesn't reflect the job you're applying for. I guess a lot of student 3d artist don't understand that. You aren't creating designs, you are turning a design into a 3d model. It's technical work. So there is no point in doing your own design unless you really want to. But consider a few cons: 1. your newbie design is likely to be artistically weaker than a professional concept artist, 2. it will take you more time to create your own design, 3. you wont be developing the same skillset as if you worked from established concept.

But if you got some extra time, I say go for it. Making your own designs build your artistic eye, get you more practice of the whole pipeline because you'll be redoing shit many times, and it's creatively satisfying.

One last unrelated note, it's not all about the work. That's only part of the game. People always complaining that hiring is all about who you know. It is. It always will be until machines replace us entirely. So get to know people. Don't sit in anonymity and wonder why the genius of your work isn't getting noticed.

• DebendraRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Alex_J . All of that makes a lot of sense. Will work on each of those things.

I have indeed started to map out which studios exist in and around my location. Next, I plan on looking at the projects they have handled in the past & then gauge what art styles they expect. That should help give some direction.

I also get your point about modeling being a more technical endeavor. At the end of the day, it is indeed commercial art that we are making & consequently, being a professional entails working to a specific brief. 

Indeed, I also take your point about networking. Especially given the fact that I have, so far, pursued 3d as a hobby, for the most part. So, in essence, I'm not in the loop.

Many thanks again for laying out such a detailed reply.