Home Unreal Engine

Landscapes, layers and custom blending with material functions

poopipe
grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
poopipe grand marshal polycounter
I've been trying to refresh my UE knowledge with regard to landscapes / materials.

What I want from my  material is this.. 
Several material functions that define my various surfaces
Painted layer masks modulated by procedural masks (eg. mask by slope etc)

This appears to be doable but something seems decidedly janky about setting it up...

The only way to get paintable layers onto your landscape seems to be to add a landscape layer blend node to your material graph .
You can't affect the painted masks using this node so you use standard material blends, sample the painted masks and then modulate them using your slope mask
This appears to work fine 

but...

What upsets me is that at this point you've detached the landscape layer blend from your material  - if the landscape layer blend is necessary why are the layers still there?
Is there another way to add them to a landscape?
If not, what happens if i transfer this material to a new landscape ? 

There must be a better way to set this up - I can't imagine anyone would ship a game with that sort of jank, it'd be a bastard to maintain

I can't find anything by googling/looking in the ue forums.  Can anyone point me towards an example I can unpick (maybe off the asset store)

TIA

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    As per the first rule of begging for help on a forum, I posted the question and immediately found the answer for  myself

which is that ...

adding and naming a landscapeLayerSample node will add a layer to the landscape