Home Marmoset

(Marmoset) Refraction Opacity Stops Working in the Middle of Complex Object?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Humble_Dragon polycounter lvl 2
So I originally posted my troubles with the glass in my oil lamp remaining opaque. At the time I thought it might have been an issue with my maps or even just the settings I was using. After doing some more troubleshooting I discovered that the refraction map does work at a certain distance away from the mesh I was working with:

But for whatever reason, centering the glass where it is suppose to be makes it not read the surrounding meshes though it is still reading stuff outside of it:

I tried experimenting by shrinking the glass to be sure it was not touching any surrounding meshes but that did not seem to have any effect. Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Replies

• WillDettrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WillDettrey polycounter lvl 11
    @Humble_Dragon
    I ran a few tests on what I thought the issue might be but all results came back with positive results on my end. I'm sure this is a simple fix, perhaps with material settings.  There are "sorting" rules to be aware of such as having separate objects for more accurate recognition of meshes in order to render correctly. Can you send me your Toolbag Scene (support@marmoset.co) so I can review it for you? Thanks!
  • Humble_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WillDettrey
    Thanks for the response! I actually had just resolved the issue as you were messaging me. I had everything but the glass combined together so separating it all helped the glass read it better. I also had to segment the pieces that circled around the glass as for whatever reason they could not be read if they made a complete loop around the glass mesh:

Did all that and it was read perfectly :)
  • WillDettrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Humble_Dragon
    Glad you got it all working. Nice problem solving on splitting the horizontal bars in half like that, will DEFINITELY assist in render sorting. That being said, my down and dirty (don't judge me) tests seemed to have zero issues with a variety of scenarios. Granted they don't fully recreate this object. Would rather see quickest, most efficient results in this manner without you having to do extra work if it is, in fact, unnecessary.

• Humble_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WillDettrey
    No judgement here. Of course I would love to not got to such lengths just to get the glass working. Would you still be interested in receiving my original assets to see if there would have been an easier way? If so, what files would you like me to send your way?
  • WillDettrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Humble_Dragon
    I would definitely take a look at your files and give you some feedback if I can find any speed improvements. Your Toolbag scene should work just fine but if you wanted to collect everything into a bundle then just run a File > Export > Scene Bundle and export it into a project folder that you can zip up and email/share a dropbox link to: support@marmoset.co
  • Humble_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WillDettrey
    Alright I sent it your way, thanks again! :)
  • WillDettrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Humble_Dragon
    Check your inbox. I posted some suggestions and observations that should resolve this as well as (hopefully) minimize the extra splitting you were having to do. Quick description for anyone following this, in regards to this scene, Microsurface>Gloss and Reflectivity>Metalness were adjusted and there was a Transparency>Refration added to the metal material slot (at least on my end). Hopefully that gets things back on track.