Home Technical Talk

3DS Max, Unreal Engine

Hi, I have exported a rigged model from Unreal Engine 4, The mesh is fully separated. all the vertex, Tried so many times, But same thing. searched the whole internet but nothing. Please help. 
Another thing, The mesh is rigged and has a skin modifier when i imported into 3ds max. But i need to add a new different mesh to the model, How to do that? , so that it will work with the current rig and also with the vertex group.  Please Help !! Thank you

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Where did the mesh come from?  If it's shattered like that it was probably shattered when it was imported into unreal in the first place
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    You can't just add a new different mesh onto a model with morphs. If you are absolutely needing to do that, you'll probably have to cobble the morphs back together with skin wrapping to various clones of the mesh and creating a completely new set of morphs. But you might be able to avoid that and just attach any extra meshes you want to add to bones in engine, unless they also need to deform with the morphs, in which case, you need morphs on those too.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Actually in Max you can usually get away with adding to a mesh with morphs since the vertex order won't be altered - I wouldn't advise doing it all willy nilly though
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    poopipe said:
    Actually in Max you can usually get away with adding to a mesh with morphs since the vertex order won't be altered - I wouldn't advise doing it all willy nilly though
    That is true

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Duplicate your model. Do all the changes you want. Use Skin Wrap to rebuild the morphs. Then use Skin Wrap to transfer the skinning with the "Convert To Skin" button. If you don't have a lot of morphs it won't take long. If you do, it's an easily scriptable processes. 

You can make pretty drastic change, but the more similar it is to the original the more accurate the result.

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Also, there's nothing wrong with having just a second mesh in the fbx for your character. And Unreal might have a weld on import feature. (Just checked for Skeletal Meshes uncheck "Keep Overlapping Vertices") So you may not have to do any of this work.