Home Technical Talk

UV Tiling / Memory Perf.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jimmito polycounter lvl 5
This question is bothering me a lot 2 days ago, Does UV Tiling takes more from memory performance than 0-1 UV?

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Afaik no, but the further out you tile/place islands from 0-1 UV space, you'll get some inaccuracies in engine. Could be wrong, but was something I read up and found out first hand years ago.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    The actual cost on modern hardware should be negligible, but since you're asking a yes-or-no question, yes the impact does exist: https://stackoverflow.com/a/50253669
    EDIT: Should add though that the cost is in GPU processing, not GPU memory. The texture data will always occupy the same size in GPU memory, no matter if that texture will be tiled or not. It's the tiled rendering that isn't as as efficient as the not-tiled rendering.

When you have a single quad with large UV coordinates on each vertex so that you have lots of repetition of a texture, for each rasterized pixel of that quad the texture sampler has to fetch texels that are far apart, and this involves repeatedly caching different bits of the texture. There's an older (2006) post explaining this, with different words: https://community.khronos.org/t/textures-gl-repeat-performance/34694/5

According to the first link, the way to improve on the tiling performance is to enable MIP-mapping on the textures that will be tiled, so that whenever the assets are small on screen they will sample smaller copies of those textures.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Indeed... I think it's worth reiterating that it's not a practical concern in any reasonable scenario these days, I
    i imagine that you'd hit visual problems with precision before you hit problems with performance anyway