Home Technical Talk

3ds Max - Exposing/Unexposing ShaderFX properties

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I'm messing with ShaderFX in Max and found that some of the settings I'd most like to make editable outside the graph don't have a button to expose them. At the same time, there are some settings exposed I'd like to un-expose (no reason to ClampDynamicLights exposed on an unlit material...). Maybe there's a way to do something about this by modifying the .sfx file (it's plain text after all) ?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Which ones? Almost any data type is exposable in the Maya implementation, ive not used it much in Max though tbf

The SFX files themselves are pretty impenetrable, if you have a Google you'll find someone wrote a very bare bones API for Maya (probably found it on TAO) that might help you get some insight. We ended up writing our own API at the office but I wasn't involved in that and haven't had the chance to muck around with it much.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well I wanted to expose the "Sample / Filter" property from a TextureMap node (since turns out they fixed it in newer versions of Max), but I suppose I can just use both a filtered and unfiltered texture with a IfElseBasic node to let users decide instead.

But yea, any attempt I've made at editing the files directly has either done nothing or resulted in Max crashing. -_-