Home Career & Education

Easiest way to find a job as a 3d artist?

Hey people,

im a compositing artist. i have 3 years of experience. i worked mostly on tv commercials and some local netflix shows and some movies. i live in Istanbul. but in couple of months i will move to berlin, germany. and the thing is, i dont want to do compositing anymore. im doing some 3d work at home in my spare time and i want to work as a 3d artist. i do modeling and some lighting. and i especially like to do hard surface modeling, but its a bit specific area to dive in, so im trying to find what is the easiest way to find a job as a 3d artist? the situation will be a bit harsh for me and i cant wait for a perfect position and i need to find a position in shortest time possible cause i will need the money to live.

so, what is the easiest way to find a position in vfx industry as a 3d artist? maybe asset artist? or lighter? or what? 

These are my personal, unprofessional stuff you can check;
https://www.artstation.com/burakkuvvetli

Thank you.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    If you find an easy way into the industry, you can sell the secret for a lot of money to a lot of people trying to get into the industry ;)
  • foco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If somebody had asked me what was the easiest way to be a compositor in the vfx industry i would say, he/she should start with rotoing and lots of clean plate work. So he/she could start as a roto/paint artist. Its not even a hard thing to start in vfx as a junior compositor. I wouldn ask for money or anything. And thats not a secret either. So, same manner, i wanted to ask same thing to 3d artists. I dont think i have to pay money for some honest suggestions.. if you dont have any idea please stay silent. If you have some suggestions please share..
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    general consensus I get is that the quickest foot in door is as a prop artist. Not that it is easy, but the time it take you to be "good enough" won't be as long.  that's just what I hear from a handful of people who've worked in games for 5-10 years. Not all of them post here so I just pass that on.
  • Mattyice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the thing though, there isn't really any equivalent to an entry level roto job as a 3D artist. You kind of have to be able to hit the ground running. Especially if you're moving to a new country where you don't know anyone. That can make things extra difficult, as you won't have anyone to "grease the wheels" for you.

Most 3D artists these days get headhunted or hired directly because of their reel/portfolio. That's really the best advice you can get. Make a 30-60 second reel of your best work, clay and wireframes only unless you're REALLY confident in your surfacing jobs. Always put your best model first, most supervisors/recruiters won't watch the whole thing anyway. Once you have that, throw it up on every social media account you have- especially linkedin and artstation.

You can also try to message other artists who are currently working at studios in Berlin and ask them what the hiring market is like, yadda yadda etc etc. That's all basic job search stuff. Best thing you can do is polish the hell out of that reel.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I've also worked outside the studio system and believe me certainly wasn't an 'easy' route too take then. So just repeating what others currently employed within the industry have shared many times here on Polycount, is that for most if not all candidates, entry criteria remains highly competitive given a bit of luck and timing, as well.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    There is no sectret. Just be better than the other's. 
  • foco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tips guys!
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    There is no easy way, imo you need skill and luck to get in.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
  • foco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you, i will check the video
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    There is no easy way. There is luck, but rather think about probability. There are some things that can increase probability of you getting a job:
    • Work everyday on your portfolio - even if it's just a little bit
    • Choose your discipline - Is it weapon art? Environment Art? Prop Art? - Choose and execute
    • The "fastest" way is to focus on one area and get really good at it
    • Invest in yourself - take a course - take a mentorship
      This will save you time in the long run
    • Lastly, there are no shortcuts. You have to put in the time to get better
    If you lack financial stability, get a job on the side that pays the bills until you find a job in the VFX industry. Go to work and when you get home, work on your portfolio.

Hope this helps, best of luck