Home Career & Education

Best software to be using for presentation in portfolio?

I'm currently looking for 3D character artist jobs and I'm not getting much reception from anywhere at the moment, which I'm aware is to do with a range of things I need to improve on. However, my question is how to best present a game ready model? Mainly which software to use? I've learnt from university to use unreal engine, but I'm either not using it effectively or it's just the wrong programme to be using for the results I want.

For example, I found this image in an article about getting jobs in games:

This is the kind of presentation I would ideally like to go for. Could anyone help guiding me towards a good software to use for this?

If you'd like to look at where my portfolio stands currently for reference, you can find it at artstation.com/bobby_the_goblin

~Thanks!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Unreal is a safe bet. It has good post process effects out of the bag and has a nice material editor graph as well which makes setting up different shaders easy(ish).

For job you've got to improve your art though and that is software agnostic. Use the 3d showcase section to ask for critiques. That will help you learn faster than going at it alone. Give other people critiques too. Don't worry about sounding like an imposter - if you say some stupid shit somebody will correct you, then you'll learn even more.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    If you're rendering characters, I'd suggest using Marmoset Toolbag for real time characters. I would suggest rendering in Unreal if you were making environments, but rendering characters in Unreal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as long as you could get them looking really good.