Home Technical Talk

Errors in textures from Marmoset to Substance painter

These 2 photos are before i add the Curvature and Ambient Occlusion maps baked in Marmoset Toolbag.

These are pics with the Curvature map added.

This photo is with both the Curvature and ambient occlusion maps added and they both cause issues.

So what is going on? I baked the maps inside of Marmoset after testing it and finding it makes better maps. Id really like to not have to bake in Substance Painter. Also i tried having Substance painter bake the 2 maps with issues and the same issues occurred. So how do i fix this?

Ive included the the bake files as the photoshop file was way to large. Hope this helps.

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    The bake files are just the output textures and with no model or tbscene.

But just looking at those, there is a strip of padded pixels on the top and right side of the textures... that make little sense to exist.
  • rememba_da_name
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel said:
    The bake files are just the output textures and with no model or tbscene.

But just looking at those, there is a strip of padded pixels on the top and right side of the textures... that make little sense to exist.
    It says the tbscene is too large. My guess on the padded pixels are its just a marmoset issue due to substance painter with the same mesh object never generates them. I just need to know why i cant bake a normal curvature or ambient occlusion

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Post the low poly at least. The maps alone tell us next to nothing of what's actually wrong or how you produced the maps and what mistakes are being made.
  • rememba_da_name
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel said:
    Post the low poly at least. The maps alone tell us next to nothing of what's actually wrong or how you produced the maps and what mistakes are being made.
    managed to compress the marmoset scene but could not compress the highpoly. Did add the lowpoly
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    The high poly is so incredibly sharp. You need to loosen up those control loops or you are just baking aliasing into many of the edges.

The low poly topology has extremely thin triangles on the rails stretching all the way across the model, possibly overlapping or having zero pixels. I suggect you add some loops to the low poly to redirect the topology. 

Also overlapping UVs on these parts :

I would make the screw heads their own bake group since they are separate geo, otherwise the cage will intersect with the surounding rail and you'll get bake errors.

Otherwise, I simply exported the models and used the quickloader in a new scene, set to 16bit, mikkt Tspace, and it baked correctly. The result won't be good due to the errors in the low poly and the incredibly sharp high poly, but it bakes how I expected it with the issues above

as you can see (or not) the normal doesn't do a whole lot of good.

I don't know what your issue is when you bring it into substance, everything seems to import fine.