Home Career & Education

Need advice on structure, improvement, and plans for 2D art

Hello, I need some advice when it comes to improving my 2D art on a technical level: human anatomy, painting techniques, copying what you see, etc. I'm mainly doing 3D work on environment pieces and props and I'd like to continue to improve my technical skills in tandem so that I can have a broader range of work that feels polished and I'm happy at where they are. I feel that if I learn to better my other subset of skills it will definitely improve some of my aspects, especially in the hand painting realm and sculpting. I also want to do this so that I can illustrate my ideas, maybe not on a professional level, but I still want to strive to be a better artist. I am TOTALLY lost on the how, since there's a lot to cover and I'm not the best at trying to work it into my schedule consistently along with my 3D work. I'd also love advice on a schedule level. With the way I currently work 9:30/10AM-7:30PM on 3d work on weekdays, lunch varying because wfh. Maybe seeing other's people schedule on a weekly basis would be really helpful. 

Some background: I'm from an US schooling system and have taken art classes throughout my life, even during college, but they always felt REALLY lacking. We had practices and still lives, and I've drawn the cube, sphere, and pyramid scheme hundreds of times, but at the technical level it lagged badly behind. The art classes, even during college where I got my minor, they emphasized graphics, originality, and style  ( think works like the following: Lozenge Composition with Yellow, Black, Blue, Red, and Gray; Andy Worhol's Campbell's Soup ). When it comes to technical skills and really honing in on the technical aspect, I don't have a good framework to pull from and I find that I run in circles. I would really like advice or maybe good references if people have recommendations. I want to know of a good structure to base my practices on. 

My goal as a 2D artist would be to make works like Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Jonas De Ro , Joker Chen , Insist

TLDR: I want to improve my technical skill as a 2D artist, such as copying what you see, human anatomy, etc. But I have no real structure or frame of reference to go about it due to not ever encountering structured technical learning for art in the US.