Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Criature in progress, I need feedback. Can't reach the general forms properly.

Capitto
node
Offline / Send Message
Capitto node
Hi all! I'm a noob and amateur artist!

I'm having problems with the head and the legs of my criature, i think that i can't get the correct general and secundary forms. I come here to see if you can give me some feedback.

Thank you so much.

And my references. As you can see i started with the natural armour that the criature have, just to make the basic form to add late that scates.

Replies

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Keep in mind that even when the concept has different views it was still done by a person freehanding it on a 2D space. Mistakes will be made, some features won't be shaped correctly to produce the silhouette or depth seen from different views. Try to identify the key features responsible for the design distinctiveness and work towards translating those to 3D, modifying secondary elements to support those when they get into the way of the key ones.

This side view is beautiful, yet it's a horrible reference to copy uncritically. The creature is walking, so all legs are either stretched or tensed and its torax is also compressed while the spine is curved to accommodate it. You'll have to do a number of educated guesses here to get to a true neutral pose.

Your sculpt is lacking the "elbow" in the front legs, which are also a bit sunk in. Move the hands a bit forward to relax the leg, add the elbow and point it outwards. The knees would also read better if you point them a bit outwards, and the hips should be narrower, with gluteus forming a triangle with the knees.

This creature strikes me as scales plastered on a free adaptation of a tamandua mixed with a tapir, so you can look at those to fill in some anatomy gaps.

You're doing a good job overall. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • Capitto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capitto node
    Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I made the changes. I think that now it's much better. Need more work but it's an improve!

Thanks a lot. 
  • Capitto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capitto node
    Hi all!

I started to practice with the natural armour.

Can I get some feedback?

Thank you all
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
    this looks awesome :) really enjoying this anatomy. I'd say maybe the rocks could do with some more deeper cuts/crevaces, maybe a bit pointy and sharper towards the back like the reference. but am looking forward to see where this goes
  • Capitto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capitto node
    You are right! I'll try that! Thanks a lot
  • tysiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    Lovely work, really curious how you gonna finish it.
    The top rocky part has a "tooth" sticking out, and the arch going to the eye is wider. The bottom part is also much longer.
    Also those skin rolls on the sides, they might be too thin, compared to the size of the monster. In the end they will be covered by fur, so shouldn't be too visible anyways, but it's something that can be easily fixed.

• Capitto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capitto node
    Hi all!

I made some progress withe the criature. At the moment i'm just blocking the armour, to see how it goes. 

Thank all for your feedback, it's very important for me. 

• Capitto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capitto node
    Hi all!

Here is how it is now.

I need some help with the first paw/foot of the criature... there are horrible done. Duno how to improve it and it looks horrible for me.

The head it's the other think that I need some feedback cause i think its a little bit boring and insipid. What do you think. Your feedback it's much apreciated!

• Capitto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capitto node
    Hi all! After a lot of work, here is the final Render. It's my second project, and I apreciate any suggestion or opinion that makes me improve. 

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    You asked about the front feet a couple of posts ago. I think you lost definition at some point. Some early shots show the tendons that control the toes, and the later ones seem to have lost that.
    As for boring and insipid, is this because it doesn't look as mean or angry as your concept? One possibility is just that you have looked at it too much. Working on another project even for a short bit can help your perspective.
    Look up images of 'angry rhino' you will see even the real rhinos that are charging look almost sleepy. The 3D or cartoon images of angry rhinos all have either red or angry shaped eyes, simply because we understand human shaped emotions.
    Finally, the concept has really saturated reds and oranges. This helps sell the angry look. You went with a more natural color, which is fine, but that brings with it a slightly less angry looking beast. 
    I say leave it or if you are bothered, fudge the line a bit and straighten out the curve of the top eyelid. lol. :)