Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback Please

Sierra3D
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Sierra3D polycounter lvl 4
Hi there, I am a self-taught junior artist. I would love some feedback on my portfolio. 

https://www.artstation.com/semmerson

Thanks!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Nice! I'm self taught as well, you've done pretty good so far. Was the rolex from Pixelbaun's tutorial? I made a watch just like it, following that tutorial. There are 12 images in the watch project, cut it down to 3. Same with the truck. You show wireframes on some project, but I'd like to see wireframes on all, plus texture maps (combined into one image, with UV snapshot overlay). My favourite so far is the antique phone. I recognize the Audi from a tutorial I did as well. I see a bunch of little mistakes in this car, I would suggest removing it.

All in all, I would like to see you making full environments (nature, city, indoors, etc), exploring other styles, and showing you can transfer an idea from a neat concept you've found to 3D.

Keep going, you're doing great! I feel you could send out some resumes atm, but don't be disappointed if you get rejected a lot, it'll happen. Your stuff reminds me of a lot of stuff I've worked on, so if you wanna chat about your art, feel free to DM me, or just tag me on here.
  • Sierra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thank you for the feedback! I didn't use a tutorial for the Rolex project, I just found a bunch of reference images online. I did it this past week for the Rookies weekly drill. The only project that was done through a tutorial is the Audi. Looking back on it now, I agree that it probably shouldn't be in my portfolio.  

Currently, I am working on an environment project for my portfolio. I wanted to show that I can do module kits so I recreated the Château de Gudanes. I have finished the low poly modelling so I might upload it here for some feedback.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to take you up on that!
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Solid start. Your portfolio immediately reads as focused on prop work, which is good! I concur with @Ashervisalis that building out more complete environments will help. I think even building out the presentation of some of your props would be worthwhile. The parking meter, for example, why not build out the whole thing, model / texture a chunk of sidewalk and ground it. I think this would help it feel more complete and improve how the scale reads. 

The Opel Blitz is nice, but the materials aren't reading well (I thought it was an untextured model looking at the thumbnail). I'm not sure if its a texture / materials problem or a lighting problem though. 

I'd remove the barrels. They aren't bad, but the antique phone and parking meter tell me waaaaay more about your asset creation skills than a couple of barrels. I'd also remove the headphones and Audi. Consider finishing the VW Bug if you plan on keeping it in your portfolio.

Nice work so far! 
  • Sierra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins said:
    Solid start. Your portfolio immediately reads as focused on prop work, which is good! I concur with @Ashervisalis that building out more complete environments will help. I think even building out the presentation of some of your props would be worthwhile. The parking meter, for example, why not build out the whole thing, model / texture a chunk of sidewalk and ground it. I think this would help it feel more complete and improve how the scale reads. 

The Opel Blitz is nice, but the materials aren't reading well (I thought it was an untextured model looking at the thumbnail). I'm not sure if its a texture / materials problem or a lighting problem though. 

I'd remove the barrels. They aren't bad, but the antique phone and parking meter tell me waaaaay more about your asset creation skills than a couple of barrels. I'd also remove the headphones and Audi. Consider finishing the VW Bug if you plan on keeping it in your portfolio.

Nice work so far! 
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going to revisit some past projects and incorporate these suggestions. 

Yeah I had a bit of a difficult time with the textures for the Opel. I think I struggled because everything is pretty much the same colour shade. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix them?