Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ChrisTheArtist polycounter lvl 4
Hello,

I am a recent art school graduate pursuing a career in video games and I have been apply to 3D artist full-time jobs and internship employment. I want to make sure my portfolio is in tip top shape and up to the task of getting an recruiters attention. Any advice and feedback will be helpful.

https://level75.art/

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Chris. First off, when I go to your site, this is what I'm seeing.

It miiiight be my browser, but I don't get weird pages like this usually. Is this an ArtStation portfolio? Combine your Resume and Artist section into one section, nobody wants to find your personal info on separate pages. I'd suggest not referring to yourself as "Level 75 Art" on your resume. If feels like you've given yourself a nickname like you'd see on DeviantArt or Instagram or something, and shouldn't be referring to yourself as this nickname to potential employers. Your Home page should be combined with your Art page. If I click your portfolio URL I want to instantly see your Art as your Home page. I've just gone ahead and searched up your name on ArtStation and am judging your portfolio via this page.

I think your art has potential, but you need to keep pushing yourself as it is not quite at the professional level yet. I'd like to see you start showing your wireframes, UV maps, etc. I feel if you picked some really good concept art to work off of, it would help you push yourself a little further. Your robot character is cute, but with 31k poly count, I can still see a lot of poly edges on round parts; your polygon distribution needs to be a lot more optimized. Your nuke grenade isn't up to par to land you a job, I suggest just removing that. Same with the Rose Energy Gun. Cool sword, and I like the environment.

The Regina character unfortunately isn't up to professional character quality. I can see scalp under the hat, her arm is oddly curved instead of jointed, and her proportions/anatomy seem quite off. I'd suggest sticking to either character or environment art, so you can get good enough at one to land a job. If you stick to enviro art, try making a nature scene, or a city scene.

Keep going!