Home Adobe Substance

Designer OpenGL Normal issue

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I'm following the Flipped Normals tutorial on making a building and I noticed the tutor says to select OpenGL for the Normal Format. What is strange is that my mesh in Direct X format looks like his does when he selects OpenGL! When i select OpenGL it ends up looking a bit funky(it looks like his one before he switches it to OpenGL).  Is there a step i am missing or a function I have to select prior to this? All the other trees were done in OpenGL so this one has to be in OpenGL too when I eventually combine them :( Any help would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: Solved, I looked at it in different lighting conditions and it was fine.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    All that setting does is invert the green channel in normal maps - it's not clever so if your project is set to 'directx', you put an 'opengl' normal map in and set that normal map's format to 'opengl' you'll end up with a 'directx' format normal map

Both designer and painter shaders compensate for the project default so there is no need for you to muck around with it unless you are baking externally or your target renderer is expecting a specific format.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
    poopipe said:
    All that setting does is invert the green channel in normal maps - it's not clever so if your project is set to 'directx', you put an 'opengl' normal map in and set that normal map's format to 'opengl' you'll end up with a 'directx' format normal map

Both designer and painter shaders compensate for the project default so there is no need for you to muck around with it unless you are baking externally or your target renderer is expecting a specific format.
    Thanks for the information, Designer is still quite foreign to me. I think he did it this was(the tutor) because he ends up rendering in Blender. I rendered in Toolbag where I can flip the normal there anyway.